Re: [Buddhism_101] Solitary Buddhist

  • Ken/
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
      Hi, Bek? I've recently returned to this group. hopefully we can get it to be more interactive, rather than just some place to post stuff garnered from other sites. We need more talk. Ask questions, make observations, there used to be some knowledgeable people on this list. Hopefully, some are still here.

      You can find lists of Dharma centers and temples by using a search engine (Google, Yahoo, Bing). Here is one from Buddhanet that may help you in Texas.
      http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/province.php?province_id=64
      Just scroll down.

      There are many different styles (for lack of a better word) of practice, even within the two primary vehicles of Buddhism. Often, the atmosphere changes from center to center even within the same discipline. If you are not sure where you are, try several centers until you find one that connects with you. You are lucky, in that, Dallas has several centers to choose from.  You will be welcomed with open arms at any center you go to. I can just about guarantee that. I, myself, chose Tibetan-style Vajrayana after several years practicing in the Theravada school. I found a great group of teachers in the Drikung Kaygu school.

      Good luck

      Hello all & thank you for letting me join this group. I currently live in Dallas, TX. & am wondering if there is a temple here anyone could recommend. I do know there are several but I guess I'm being shy as I have been a solitary practitioner since I "became" Buddhist about 5 years ago. I think mainly I need a group, temple, etc. that I can meditate with & learn from. Thank you for your time.

      "When the people find they can vote themselves money,
      that will herald the end of the republic."

      Benjamin Franklin
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
        On 11/19/2012 01:25 AM bek.winton wrote:
        > Hello all & thank you for letting me join this group. I currently live
        > in Dallas, TX. & am wondering if there is a temple here anyone could
        > recommend. I do know there are several but I guess I'm being shy as I
        > have been a solitary practitioner since I "became" Buddhist about 5
        > years ago. I think mainly I need a group, temple, etc. that I can
        > meditate with & learn from. Thank you for your time.

        Yahoo used to have a mapping app which I configured for this group to
        help people locate Buddhist temples and organizations in various areas.
        But for some reason that application (and all the data that was in it)
        was taken down and so no longer exists.

        But you should have gotten an email when you signed up for this group,
        an email which addressed that question. It just said to look in the
        Files and Links sections of this group's web site. People have posted
        information there on Buddhist temples in their areas.

        If you don't find anything helpful there, there's always google. Most
        Buddhist temples have web sites now and I would guess that you should
        find several in the Dallas area.

        Finally, different people like different flavors (or schools) of
        Buddhism. You might even favor one particular temple today, but in a
        few years find another which you like even more. You don't have to stay
        with the same one for your entire life, nor is it any kind of rule that
        you must attend just one temple. You're the best person to decide which
        suits you best.

        Best wishes,
        ken
      • michael
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
          Hello Ken :)

          Being a solitary practioner means, to me, I don't know the correct way to practice.  If I am not wrong I believe this is where you are at this point in time.  Let me tell you a short story of how I do things and I hope it helps.  My wife and I enjoy food.  Every other weekend we choose a different place to eat breakfast.  You guessed correct.  Every other weekend we have a new favorite place to eat.  I may be in the mood for one teacher this day and another tomorrow as everything is temporary.  I have no Tibetan temple here, but I do have Thervada.  So to make things simple.  One is fried chicken, the other baked.  But don't not go to a temple just because they are not Tibetan, Zen, or what have you.  Just go....

          "The difference between a fool and a wise man; a fool has to say something.  A wise man has something to say."

          Budha

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
            michael, I think you may have confused the posts. I am not the "Solitary Buddhist", except when I want to be. I belong to a very good sangha and, though, due to logistical problems, I can't attend regularly, I am very happy to be part of this sangha when I can. I have been able to sit with many great teachers of all lineages.
            I also have Thravadan and several Zen centers in my area. Which I can practice with as I please. I have been a practicing Buddhist since 1969, in Thailand. I moved to Vajrayana in 2004 and took my householder vows that year. Being given my Vajrayana name of Konchog Legshe by His Eminence Garchen Rinpoche. That's a very short list of my background. I also practice Taichijaun, although, I am fairly new to it, I find it exhilarating.  I like the structure of having a temple and sangha when I need it, and being alone when I wish.
            Tt sounds like you have a practice which makes you happy. I am very happy for you. It is great to talk to others with other ideas. Please, lets keep a dialogue goes and try to draw in others.

            I hope your practice goes well,

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
              Hello, ken. It is good to see that you are still the group owner. There are lots of people, out there, who need just a little basic help. I'm sure there are people still on this group who would be glad to supply it.

              I hope your practice is successful.