Hello

  • walkernikki18
    Message 1 of 77 , Oct 4, 2012
      I am new to this group and I am very drawn to buddhism and mindfulness and enlightenment. Not only am I new to this site but new comer to buddhism too,would be greatful if it is possible to help me understand buddhism.
      Thank you
    • Ken M
      Message 77 of 77 , Nov 1, 2014
        You have a plethora of questions, most of which can be answered on line. If your asking these for a report or school project, you should be looking them up on your own. You can find most answers just by Googling them. Wikopedia should have many of them. There are hundreds of websites about Buddhism. Try these:
        http://www.buddhanet.net/
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/theravada.html
        http://www.tricycle.com/

        http://www.sakya.org/introtibetanbuddhism.html
        http://buddhism.about.com/od/chanandzenbuddhism/a/zen101.htm

        KenM

        To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
        From: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 21:04:54 -0700
        Subject: Re: [Buddhism_101] Hello

        I don't know whether this is how I post to the group or not, but here are the questions I hope someone can answer.

        1.       Where did Buddhism originate?

        a.

        2.       Is Buddhism monotheistic or polytheistic?

        a.

        3.       Who is Buddha?

        a.

        4.       Why is Buddha the primary icon of Buddhism?

        a.

        5.       What is a brief history of the Buddha?

        a.

        6.       Do you worship a greater power, if so who?

        a.

        7.       What are your views on non-believers?

        a.

        8.       Is someone allowed to reconvert if they changed religions?

        a.

        9.       What are some of your primary values or beliefs?

        a.

        10.   Do you have any rituals upon death, if so what are they?

        a.

        11.   What happens after death?

        a.

        12.   Is there a way to know where you will go after death?

        a.

        13.   Do you pray?

        a.

        14.   What is it appropriate to pray for?

        a.

        15.   What is the Buddhist’s opinion on marriage?

        a.

        16.   Are Buddhists allowed to get divorced?

        a.

        17.   How do Buddhists feel about fornication?

        a.

        18.   How do Buddhists feel about contraception?

        a.

        19.   How do Buddhists view abortion?

        a.

        20.   Are there any activities that are forbidden for a Buddhist?

        a.

        21.   Are there any topics or subjects forbidden for a Buddhist to discuss?

        a.

        22.   Does Buddhism have any religious rituals that could be considered illegal by the government, such as Catholics allowing minors to consume sacramental wine?

        a.

        23.   How do Buddhists think the world was created?

        a.

        24.   What is the most sacred place on Earth to a Buddhist?

        a.

        25.   What is the significance of this place?

        a.

        26.   Do Buddhist have some form of sacred written text?

        a.

        27.   Can a Buddhist be exiled from the temple?

        a.

        28.   What can cause someone to be exiled?

        a.

        29.   What is the highest religious rank/honor in Buddhism?

        a.

        30.   Is there any history of a religious war in Buddhism, such as the Christian Crusade?

        a.

        31.   How do Buddhists view war?

        a.

        32.   Does Buddhism have an apocalyptic event?

        a.

        33.   What days of the year are determined to be holy?

        a.

        34.   What days of the week are considered to be holy?

        a.

        35.   What made you choose to become a Buddhist?

        a.

        36.   How long have you been a Buddhist?