Great Disciples of the Lord Buddha: Sariputta, Pre-Eminent in Profound Wisdom *

  • Dhamma Group
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2012

      Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Samma Sambuddhassa!

      Visit Sakyamuni Sambuddha Vihara on the WebVisit the Dhamma Group on the Web

      Information Please feel free to distribute this message among your friends, colleagues and relatives.

      GREAT DISCIPLES OF THE LORD BUDDHA: SARIPUTTA, PRE-EMINENT IN PROFOUND WISDOM

      In This Issue

      1. Great Disciples of the Lord Buddha: Sariputta, Pre-Eminent in Profound Wisdom

      2. Special Vihara Event: Chaithya Foundation Stone Laying Ceremony, Saturday 23rd of June 2012 @ 2pm

      3. Upcoming Events for this Week

      1. Great Disciples of the Lord Buddha: Sariputta, Pre-Eminent in Profound Wisdom

      Sariputra
      Pre-Eminent in Profound Wisdom

      Sariputra's Youth

      Sariputra was born in a village in Magadha at southern India. His father was a noted Brahmin scholar. When his mother conceived him, she had extraordinary wisdom, which was believed to be influenced by the baby in her womb. Even her younger brother, also a noted scholar, was defeated in every discussion with her. Knowing that his sister conceived a baby who would become a man of great wisdom, he left home to search for more knowledge so as not to be outdone by his nephew in future.

      At the age of eight, Sariputra was able to understand all the books he read. Once, a wealthy man held a banquet to entertain the king, the princes, ministers and scholars. The eight-year-old Sariputra was also one of the invited guests. He impressed everyone at the banquet with his eloquent speech and great wisdom. The king was so pleased that he awarded a village to Sariputra.

      The young Sariputra was a handsome scholar who enjoyed great reputation in the academic field. When he was twenty years old, he left his home and began to search for Truth. He actually became a disciple of a Brahmin scholar, and Mogallana was his best classmate. Both of them later decided to leave their teacher as they felt that he could not satisfy their quest for knowledge. They then set up a study group and recruited students on their own. Sariputra and Mogallana shared a common ambition of a search for the Truth. However, they both thought their wisdom was peerless and no one could qualify to be their teacher.

      Encounter with Assaji

      One day, while walking on the street, Sariputra chanced to see Venerable Assaji, one of Buddha's first five disciples. Venerable Assaji had attained Arahatship after several years of practices. His impressive and dignified manner attracted the attention of Sariputra, who then approached him and inquired his name, who his teacher was and what his teacher taught.

      Venerable Assaji replied, "My name is Assaji and my teacher is Sakyamuni Buddha. He always teaches us that 'all things arise and fall according to causes and conditions', and he also says that 'all things are impermanent and will finally extinguish'."

      Having heard the words of Venerable Assaji, Sariputra suddenly saw the light and all his doubts about the universe were dismissed. He decided to pay a visit to the Buddha.

      The happy Sariputra returned home and told Mogallana about his encounter that day. Mogallana was moved to tears, for at last they had found a true teacher. The next day, together with their two hundred students, they went to Venuvana (Bamboo-grove) and became the Buddha's disciples.

      Debate With The Heretics

      Buddha trusted Sariputra very much after the latter became His disciple. Once, Buddha assigned Sariputra to propagate Dharma in the northern part of the country and at the same time, to supervise the construction of Jetavana Vihara. Jetavana was actually a park belonged to Prince Jeta. Anathapindika, a wealthy elder, brought it from the prince and gave it to the Buddha for the use by the Sangha.

      Buddhism then was not popular in the north and heretical groups could be found everywhere. The heretics were jealous of the development of the Buddha Dharma when the construction of Jetavana began. They asked Anathapindika not to build the monastery for the Buddha and even talked him to betray Buddha. Being a devoted follower of the Buddha Dharma, Anathapindika simply ignored the heretics. With the hope to defeating the Buddha Dharma, the heretics decided to hold an open polemic with Sariputra. Sariputra gladly accepted their challenge as he considered it a very good opportunity to propagate the Buddha's Teachings.

      During the polemic, Sariputra alone debated with a panel of heretics. In the end, the well-read Sariputra, who was also an expert in heretical books and records, defeated the heretics. As a result, many people, including some of the heretics, were converted to Buddhism.

      Sariputra's Past Life : Giving Of His Eyes

      About sixty aeons ago, Sariputra vowed to practise the way of Bodhisattva and offer alms to the needy. He was willing to give away all his property, even his body and life.

      One day, a deva disguised himself as a young man to test Sariputra's determination to practise the Right Way. He cried sadly when he saw Sariputra walking towards him. Sariputra approached him and asked what had happened. "My mother is suffering from an incurable disease and the physician said that in order to cure her disease, an eyeball of a monk is needed to decoct medicinal herbs. But where can I find a monk's eyeball?" replied the young man who was still crying sadly.

      Sariputra thought since he himself was a monk, why not offer one of his eyeballs to the young man? Besides, he would still be able to see with the other eye. Therefore, despite the pain, Sariputra dug out his left eyeball and gave it to the young man. However, the young man exclaimed: " Oh no! The physician said that only the right eyeball can cure my mother."

      Sariputra was very shocked to hear that, but he only blamed himself for not asking the young man before digging out his eyeball. Determined to help the young man, Sariputra bravely dug out his right eyeball. Without thanking Sariputra, the young man took the eyeball and smelled it. Then he threw it on the ground and scolded Sariputra: "Your eyeball is very smelly! How can it be used to decoct medicinal herbs for my mother? "After that, he even trampled on the eyeball.

      Though Sariputra could not see, he could still hear. He then thought: "It is difficult to save all beings and be a Bodhisattva. I think I'd better concentrate on the practice of self-salvation!"

      Just then many devas appeared in the sky. They said to Sariputra: "Don't be dejected. What has just happened is merely our arrangement to test your determination to practise the way of a bodhisattva. You should bravely progress and continue your practice."

      Upon hearing that, Sariputra resumed his compassion to save others. For the next sixty aeons, he never stopped his spiritual practice. During the lifetime when he met Buddha, he not only achieved enlightenment but also attained divine vision.

      Sariputra's Humility (1)

      Though Sariputra, who had great wisdom and divine power, was a chief disciple of the Buddha, he always followed and obeyed the Buddha's instructions.

      Among all His disciples, Buddha trusted Sariputra the most. When His son, Rahula, joined the Sangha, Buddha asked Sariputra to be his teacher.

      One day, Rahula followed Sariputra to beg for food and returned to the monastery with a sulky look. When Buddha asked him why he was unhappy, the young Rahula replied resentfully, "Buddha! When we are out to beg for food, the devotees always give food to the elder monks and to the younger monks like us, they usually offer food with no nutritious value. But everyone needs food to maintain his health. And our elders never take care of us when they receive the good food."

      The Buddha knew very well that nutritious food was necessary to maintain health, and a healthy body was very important to monks for if they were weak, they would not be able to concentrate on their meditation practice. However, the Buddha lectured Rahula for being too concerned about food when he should pay attention to his meditation practice.

      After Rahula had left, Sariputra was called to see the Buddha. " Sariputra, do you know that you have eaten "unclean" food today?" asked the Buddha.

      Sariputra quickly threw up the food taken on that day and said: "Lord Buddha, ever since I became you disciple, I have always been following the rules of begging set by you and never dare to accept any "unclean" food."

      Buddha then explained: "Sariputra, I know you have been observing the rules of conduct, but one cannot just mind his own business in the Sangha. Rules should be fair to everyone and the benefits should be equally distributed. It is the responsibility of the elders to take good care of the younger monks, even when begging for food."

      Sariputra was not angry at all after hearing that. Instead, he gratefully accepted the teachings of the Buddha.

      Sariputra's Humility (2)

      Sariputra had always been enthusiastic in Dharma propagation but he never fussed about personal material comforts and reputation.

      Once, the Buddha and His disciples returned to the monastery after a public discourse. However, the group of six corrupt monks arrived at the Jetavana Grove before the others and occupied the best seats and beds, and even Sariputra's room.

      Sariputra's later returned and saw his room being occupied by others. He had no choice but to spend the night meditating under a tree.

      When Buddha realized what had happened the next morning, He called the monks together and said: "Bhikkhus, you should respect the Elders in the Dharma, then you will be praised by others in this life and be born in the upper realms in future lives. Bhikkhus, there is no class or hierarchy in the Dharma, but you should respect, serve and make offerings to the Elders. Therefore, the elders should be giving first choice regarding seats and beds, as well as food and drink." Everyone understood why Buddha said that, and Sariputra was grateful to the Buddha.

      Sariputra's Humility (3)

      Sariputra was never tired of travelling far to teach even when he was nearly eighty years old. One day, shortly after he left the monastery, a monk said to the Buddha: "Lord Buddha, Sariputra did not really go out to preach. He actually decided to go travelling because he had insulted me and was feeling rather sorry for it."

      Buddha immediately called Sariputra back to clarify the matter. In front of everybody, Sariputra answered with great respect:" Lord Buddha! Ever since I became you disciple, I have never lied or argued with others on personal gains or losses. Everyday, I repent and meditate. My mind is as clear as the water and never have I harboured thoughts of resentment. How will I despise anyone?"

      "Lord Buddha! The earth can endure humiliation best as it can accept all dirty things. My mind, just like the earth, is willing to endure humiliation."

      "Lord Buddha! The clear water can cleanse everything, be it good or bad. My mind, just like the water, bears no thoughts of hate or love."

      "Lord Buddha! When the broom is used to sweep up the dust, it never chooses between good and bad. Similarly, my mind has no likes or dislikes."

      "Lord Buddha! Abiding by right mindfulness, I will never look down on other monks. If I am really in the wrong, I will repent to that monk."

      Everyone was deeply moved by Sariputra's words. The Buddha then lectured the monk who slandered Sariputra and asked him to repent to Sariputra. Feeling rather ashamed, that monk knelt before Sariputra. Sariputra kindly patted that monk's head and said:" Bhikkhu! To err is human. But it is a virtue to correct an error when one becomes aware of it. I accept your repentance." It is thus obvious that the large-minded Sariputra never haggled with opponents and foes.

      Not Harmed By Mara

      When Sariputra entered the stage of Vajrasamadhi (the last stage of Bodhisattva) at Grdhrakuta (a mountain near Rajagrha), Mara saw him. Thinking that monks were weak and vulnerable, the Mara gave Sariputra a punch on the head. Sariputra, however, felt as if a leaf had fallen on his head. When he opened his eyes, he saw a Mara, whose body was covered with blood, falling into the hell.

      As a matter of fact, Vajrasamadhi is characterized by indestructive power. That was why when Sariputra was in state of Vajrasamadhi, the powerful Mara could not harm him. Instead, due to the evil intention against Sariputra, the Mara had to sink into degradation and suffer forever. As Sariputra always wandered in the states of Samadhi and Vajrasamadhi, he could not be harmed at all by external disasters.

      Sariputra's Nirvana

      When Buddha announced that He would be entering Parinirvana after three months, everyone was very sad, Sariputra could not bear to see Buddha enter into the final Nirvana and he thought: "In the past, the chief disciples of all Buddhas entered Nirvana before their masters did. As a chief disciple of the Buddha, I should also enter Nirvana before Buddha."So he asked the Buddha's permission to enter Nirvana first. After some explanation, he finally got the Buddha's consent and they prepared to return to his hometown to enter Nirvana.

      Before Sariputra left, Buddha gathered all disciples to say farewell to him. Sariputra said to Buddha: "Lord Buddha! For the past forty years, I have been guided by your compassionate teachings, therefore I am able to understand the Truth and to attain enlightenment. No word can describe my happiness and gratitude. I am glad that I have been able to learn the Buddha Dharma which leads me to attain liberation from all sufferings and enter Nirvana. Before I leave, Buddha, please accept my reverence." Sariputra prostrated himself in front of the Buddha. The atmosphere then was filled with solemnity and silence.

      Buddha said: "Sariputra! I predict one day you will become a Buddha by the name of Pamaprabha. You will come to this world again to save all living beings and achieve the highest state of Buddhahood."

      After that everyone sent Sariputra off. Many of the monks were so sad that they could not help shedding tears.

      Sariputra said to those who were sending him off, "The appearance of the Buddha in this world is as rare as the blooming of Udumbara tree which happens once in thousands and millions of years. Our human body is hard to come by. So is the Buddha Dharma. But in this present life, we not only become monks but also personally listen to Buddha's teachings, which is very rare indeed. I hope all of you practise Dharma diligently so to achieve Nirvana."

      Knowing that this was Sariputra's last discourse, everyone was very sad and asked, "Venerable sir, you are the chief disciple of the Buddha and elder of all the monks. The propagation and development of the Buddha Dharma in future still needs you. Why would you want to enter Nirvana so soon?"

      Sariputra replied, "Don't be sad. Has the Buddha not always told us this is an impermanent world? Death is a fact of life. I hope you can continue on in your Dharma practice, until you are free from all sufferings. I also hope you strive to spread the Dharma and work for the well being of the people. In future, as long as beings wished to be free of suffering and attain the final happiness of Nirvana, they will come forward to prolong the wisdom-life of the Buddhas."

      Everybody was very touched by what Sariputra had said. After bidding farewell, Sariputra, together with Kunti (his devoted disciple), began his journey home. Seeing him off, the monks shed tears of sorrow as they knew they would never be able to see Sariputra again.

      Disquieting thoughts surged in Sariputra's mind when he was on his way home. But he felt that brightness was just before him.

      When Sariputra reached his home, his mother was so glad that tears started to roll down her face, simply because her son had not been home for a long time. However, his mother and family were very shocked to learn that Sariputra had returned home for the purpose of entering Nirvana. So Sariputra said, "Don't worry. This is different from the normal death. I accept and practise the teachings of my master, Buddha and have already attained liberation. As a matter of fact, nobody in this world can escape death. I an indeed fortunate to be able to enter the state of Nirvana with a clear mind. You ought to be happy for me."

      The news that Sariputra had returned to enter Nirvana quickly spread through the village. Though it was in the middle of the night, villagers who had taken refuge in the Buddha before, and even King Ajatasatru from Rajagrha and his ministers, had gathered at Sariputra's house, all wishing to pay their respect to the Venerable and listen to his last teachings. They waited quietly outside Sariputra's room until the next morning when Kunti informed them that Sariputra wanted to see them. They then happily gathered in Sariputra's room.

      Sariputra said to the crowd, "For the past forty years, I have been following the teachings of my master, Lord Buddha, and have either preached at various places or learned the Dharma under the Buddha's guidance. I feel very much indebted to my great teacher, Lord Buddha. Though I feel ashamed for not being able to fully comprehend. His profound teachings, I do understand Buddha's compassion towards all living beings. I practise His teachings diligently and have also attained enlightenment. I hope you can understand that it is a rare opportunity to meet the Buddha. Therefore, you should learn and practise His teachings accordingly. Sariputra went into deep meditation and then entered the bliss of Nirvana.

      After Sariputra had entered Nirvana for seven days, Kunti cremated his body and brought his relics to the Buddha.

      Then Buddha took the relics of Sariputra from Kunti and said to all monks, "Bhikkhus! This is Sariputra whose wisdom is profound and great. He realised the Truth and practised Dharma accordingly. He also strived to propagate the Dharma for the sake of the people. He had already attained liberation from all sufferings. Just look, Bhikkhus! This is the relics of a Buddha's son!"

      With great respect, all the monks prostrated themselves before the relics of Sariputra.

      Source: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/db_01.htm

      2. Special Vihara Event: Chaithya Foundation Stone Laying Ceremony, Saturday 23rd of June 2012 @ 2pm

      The Chaithya Foundation Stone Laying Ceremony will be held on Saturday, 23rd of June 2012 @ 2pm. For more information please call the Vihara on 9702 6275. View the flyer here: http://www.vihara.org.au/pub/atts/2012/06/Foundation_Stone_23Jun12.jpg

      From Monday the 18th of June onwards, there will be work from 7pm at the temple to finalise all preparations. All are welcome.

      For more information on the above please call the Vihara (temple) on 9702 6275 or Hemantha 0412 731 464.

      3. Upcoming Events for this Week

      Saturday, 23 June @ 2:00 PM, SPECIAL - Laying of Foundation Stone for Chaithya / Stupa: More info

      Saturday, 23 June @ 7:00 PM, Osupan Pujava (Medicinal Drinks Offering): More info

      Sunday, 24 June @ 2:00 PM, Sunday School (Dahampasala): More info

      View more Sakyamuni Sambuddha Vihara upcoming events here http://www.vihara.org.au/events.aspx

      Dhamma (Buddhism) Articles

      Bo Leaf A Buddhist Approach to Disenchantment - A Buddhist approach to becoming disenchanted with all that gives rise to stress, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=disench

      Bo Leaf A Buddhist Approach to Disillusionment - A Buddhist approach to seeing past the trickery and into reality, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=disill

      Bo Leaf A Buddhist Approach to Mental Health - A Buddhist perspective and approach to mental health, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=mentalhealth

      Bo Leaf A Buddhist Approach to Problem Solving - A Buddhist approach to problem solving through the development of wisdom (panna), see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=probsolv

      Bo Leaf A Buddhist Approach to Revulsion - Asubha - A Buddhist approach to bodily revulsion (asubha), see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=revul

      Bo Leaf pick!A Buddhist Approach to Subduing & Overcoming Addictions - A Buddhist approach to Subduing subduing & overcoming addictions, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=addict

      Bo Leaf A Buddhist Approach to the Awareness of In-and-Out Breath Meditation - Anapanasati - A Buddhist approach to the awareness of breath meditation (anapanasati), see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=anapanasati

      Bo Leaf A Buddhist Approach to the Contemplation on Body Parts - Asubha - A Buddhist approach to bodily revulsion (asubha) through the detailed contemplation of the body parts, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=asubhaparts

      Bo Leaf pick!A Buddhist Approach to the Mastery over the Mind through Skilful Mental Attention - A Buddhist approach to the mastery over the mind through skilful mental attention, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=mentatt

      Bo Leaf pick!A Buddhist Approach to the Meaning of Life - A Buddhist approach to the meaning of life, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=life

      Bo Leaf pick!A Buddhist Approach to True Happiness through Renunciation - A Buddhist approach to true happiness through renunciation, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=renun

      Bo Leaf A Buddhist Approach to Time Management - A Buddhist approach to effective time management, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=timeman

      Bo Leaf An Introduction to Buddhist Meditation - Basic instructions for doing the mediations of loving kindness (metta), awareness of breath (ana-pana-sati) and foulness of the body (asubha), see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=intromed

      Bo Leaf Arahants and Suicide - An analysis on whether Arahants (Worthy Ones) can commit suicide, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=arahsuic

      Bo Leaf Attachment - An analysis of how attachment leads to unsatisfactoriness, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=attachment

      Bo Leaf Buddhist Positive Thinking - Positive thinking from a Buddhist perspective, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=posthink

      Bo Leaf Consequences - About being responsible for our actions (kamma) and their consequences (vipaka), see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=conseq

      Bo Leaf Daily Dana - On giving and generosity, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=dailydana

      Bo Leaf Equanimity - Dealing with the eight characteristics of life, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=equanimity

      Bo Leaf Fault Finding & Resentment - Dealing with fault finding and resentment, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=faultfind

      Bo Leaf Five Precepts - Developing virtue through the five precepts, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=pansil

      Bo Leaf Four Noble Truths - The essence of Buddhism, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=fourtruths

      Bo Leaf Make Haste - About the dangers of samsara (endless round of birth and death) and a call to attain Nibbana (release) at the earliest opportunity, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=urgency

      Bo Leaf Mental Purity - Five ways prescribed by the Buddha for subduing mental defilements, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=vitakkasantana

      Bo Leaf Metta Meditation - Easy to follow instructions for doing the meditation on loving-kindness, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=mettamed

      Bo Leaf Noble Eightfold Path - The path for ending unsatisfactoriness, stress and suffering, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=noblepath

      Bo Leaf Offerings - On making offering to the Lord Buddha's supreme qualities, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=offerings

      Bo Leaf One Hour of Unsatisfactoriness - The unsatisfactoriness that can be felt within the space of an hour, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=onehour

      Bo Leaf Reverence - On revering those worthy of reverence, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=reverence

      Bo Leaf Sensual Pleasure & Pain - An analysis of sensual pleasure and pain, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=plespain

      Bo Leaf Work Stress - An analysis of stress in the work-place, see http://www.vihara.org.au/go?to=workstress

      See these articles here http://sites.google.com/site/dhammagroupweb/pubs and here http://sites.google.com/site/dhammagroupweb/pubs/youth
      Get your friends added to the Dhamma Group If you would like to help your friends to gain Dhamma knowledge by receiving emails like this one REPLY to this email including their email addresses. Alternatively ask them to send a blank email to dhamma-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Visit Sakyamuni Sambuddha Vihara on the Web Visit Sakyamuni Sambuddha Vihara on the Web: www.vihara.org.au

      To join the Dhamma Group send a blank email to dhamma-subscribe@yahoogroups.com