Re: [Buddhism_101] Re: Where? India

  • Helen East
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2004
      >I am planning a trip to India in Oct/Sept' time and would appreciate any advice from previous
      >travellers. Thanks.

      Hiya,

      some friends of mine are out in India and Nepal at the moment.  I don't know what kind of information would be useful to you, but here's a brief summary of where they went from the reports they've sent back, and if you are interested in any particular areas email me personally and I will be happy to put any questions you have to them, or to put you in touch with them as I know they would love to share any information they have.

      Helen
      ----------------

      India overall: an assault on the senses, spectacular, overwhelming.  Could write a book on just one day's experience.

      Nepal - Annapurna - much simpler, very basic, epic panoramas, crystal air.  Chtiwan - wildlife, crocs, rhinos, physical danger

      Jaisalmer (near Pakistan border) - fantastic camel safari into the desert - starry skies, hearing folk songs round the midnight fires, silence, desert forts, animals, children, heat.

      Agra/Taj Mahal - beautiful of course, much poverty
      the Ganges - dolphins swimming in it, everything going on

      Southern India - frenetic; Bombay expensive,
      Goa - sun & surf & good food;
      Hampi:  beautiful - large boulders strewn across burning blue skies, sacred cows, monkeys etc

      Bangalore - more modern and western, chain shops eg. Subway, pizza places

      Kerala mountains / Munnar -- tea planations, porcupines, wild boar, refreshingly cool, great food eaten off of banana leaves & lots of coconut, much fishing by the coast.

      They then headed off to Sri Lanka.

    • Craigincardiff@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2004
        Thanks Helen. I'm planning on doing the Golden Triangle (Agra, Dehli etc.), north to Nepal & then flying  South to Kerala. I'm going for 6 weeks and am panicking I won't get everything in. I am particularly interested in Buddhist sites. I will be going to Varanassi.
        Ken, thankyou for your concern about my safety but I have come to the conclusion that ' whatever will be, will be '!!
        When I was in The Gambia back in the 90's they had a military coup. The airport was closed, curfews etc'. When they did manage to get one flight out for tourists I decided to stay!! Nothing was going to ruin my trip!! It turned out to be great as the hotel & beaches were deserted, lol, everything settled down and I returned home on my correct day!!
        Blessings
        Craig
      • vorian@mail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2004
          Sounds like you've gotten the experience. Good luck, I hope you enjoy. It has been my wish, for many years, to tour, there. Tell us about it, when you return.
          From: Craigincardiff@...
          Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 03:32:06 EDT
          To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [Buddhism_101] Re: Where? India

          > Thanks Helen. I'm planning on doing the Golden Triangle (Agra, Dehli etc.),
          > north to Nepal & then flying South to Kerala. I'm going for 6 weeks and am
          > panicking I won't get everything in. I am particularly interested in Buddhist
          > sites. I will be going to Varanassi.
          > Ken, thankyou for your concern about my safety but I have come to the
          > conclusion that ' whatever will be, will be '!!
          > When I was in The Gambia back in the 90's they had a military coup. The
          > airport was closed, curfews etc'. When they did manage to get one flight out for
          > tourists I decided to stay!! Nothing was going to ruin my trip!! It turned out
          > to be great as the hotel & beaches were deserted, lol, everything settled
          > down and I returned home on my correct day!!
          > Blessings
          > Craig

          Accept my words only when you have examined them for yourselves; do not accept them simply because of the reverence you have for me. Those who only have faith in me and affection for me will not find the final freedom. But those who have faith in the truth and are determined on the path, they will find awakening.

          -Majjhima Nikaya-
        • nancy lemke
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 27, 2004
            ---
            wow, this sounds like an exciting place....sri lanka is a beautiful
            country. i have sri lankan friends and they tell me of it's beauty.
            namaste, nancy