Re: New To Group

  • luvthai2003
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 8, 2011
      hello, and welcome.

      well, i'm a 38 year buddhist, but i am not a tibetan buddhist. i'm Nichiren Buddhism and chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. if you really want to learn about True Buddhism, I would love to help you out. like the other major world religions, buddhism is a state of disarray and confusion. it's at this point that we really need to return to buddhist scripture to make sure we're practicing the way shakyamuni and the other buddhist masters instructed us to. the Lotus Sutra - it's all about the Lotus Sutra. anyway, please feel free to contact me anytime you want. Al P.

      luvthai2003@...

      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "lk_albertson" <JohannesMom@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > New to the group, and to Buddhism. Looking for someone for open chat; a kind of mentor situation.
      >
      > Thanks!

    • Dougbert
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 8, 2011
        Welcome Seeker,

        My name is Doug. I am a Recovered Alcoholic and a Theravada Buddhist. When I meet a person like you interested with Buddhist recovery, I like to share my 3 favorite books written by people who understand the Program and Buddhism. I have read a bunch of books on Buddhism and these 3 three books move you very quickly into Buddhist solutions and practices that are in harmony with A.A.. You will have the piece of mind, knowing you are integrating the A.A. Faith-Based Healing Model with the Precepts, Triple Jewels, Four Noble Truths, The Eightfold Path. Buddha, Dharma, Sangha. You may even create your own steps or combine with The Twelve Steps of Buddhism?

        Kevin Griffin, One Breath at a Time. A Burning Desire.
        Mel Ash, The Zen of Recovery

        Those 3 books are good additions to the Big Book and the 12x12. And allows a Buddhist practitioner to "connect the dots" beween Buddhist spirituality and Alcoholics Anonymous spirituality.

        Hope this helps,

        Metta,

        Deep Bows,

        Doug

        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
          Thank you for the welcomes. I look forward to learning.

          So my first confusion is all the different types; and does one really have to decide on which to follow at the beginning? How do they differ? Why, luvthai2003, did you decide on Nichiren?

          I'm more curious at this point than willing to get very deep into it. I find myself questioning from time to time, what is the "right" thing to do in this situation - - sure wish I had someone to ask! So...that's why I'm here.

          Next question - - anyone out there in Iowa?

          Thanks for all your understanding.

          Johanne's Mom
          (rest of post respectfully removed to save space)
        • Jody W. Ianuzzi
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
            Hello Johanne's Mom,

            Ahhhh, I asked myself the same question. Which style of Buddhism is best
            for me. I was a member of a local Buddhist group which has since broken up
            because the teacher moved to NY. I asked him that question, which style is
            best and his answer was "Buddhism is Buddhism". It's like comparing the
            different types of Protestants, they are really all Christian at their core
            but they only take a small difference in their approach.

            As Buddhism traveled across the world, it changed by each culture that
            adopted it. The Tibetans added some Tibetan flare, the Chinese added Tao
            and Confucianism and the Japanese added Shinto. Each has it's own charm.

            As for me, when Buddhism traveled to America we should make it American
            Buddhism, not Tibetan or Japanese. These cultures have different traditions
            and we have ours too. Personally I think we should take a basic look at the
            teachings of the Buddha and we shouldn't worry about all the trappings. I
            think he would agree.

            There are so many good books out there. I love reading what the Dalai Lama
            has written but I don't consider myself a Tibetan Buddhist. He has such a
            warm honest approach to everything. You can find lots online too.

            Tricycle and BuddhaNet have great info and resources too. You can Google
            them or I can get the website addresses for you. dalailama.com has some
            great podcasts.

            Do you have Netflix? There are some great videos you can get. Seven Years
            in Tibet is a good one or just search for Buddhism or Buddhist.

            It's really all about basics. Things are what they are and it is our
            interpretation of them that gets us in trouble.

            Just my two cents.

            JODY
          • michael
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
              I am very suscipious of any school that proclaims it's self as the only "true" form of Buddhism.

              Yes I am familiar with Nichiren and whether the entire Dharma of the Buddha is contained in the Lotus Sutra is not for me to say.

              I followed my heart and it lead me the Soto School of Zen, yet one of my Zen Spiritual Masters is also Pure Land.

              Yes I am well aware that the last line in my signature is a mantra to the Green Tara, a Bodhisatvha of the Tibetan School.

              My advice is to study the many "flavors" of Buddhism and follow your heart.

              With Metta

              Michael

              Try not. Do or do not, there is no try...

              Master Yoda

              Om Tare Tuttare Ture Svaha

              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                Jody nailed it, IMO. Indeed, the one guru lama I've been learning from
                for several years, though Tibetan himself, has lived in the US for quite
                a few years now and adapts buddhism for Americans. And other teachers
                I've learned from do this also. For instance, they understand that
                Americans don't have a lot of free time and so can't make the same
                commitments that people in other cultures make. There's some buddhist
                proscription against dancing... this is pretty much ignored as are those
                against having sex. The central aims-- attaining enlightenment and then
                buddhahood for the benefit of all sentient beings by developing
                compassion and wisdom-- are still there of course. Buddhism wouldn't be
                buddhism without them.

                So perhaps of greater importance than which tradition to follow is what
                teachers are available where you live. Unless you live in a very large
                metropolitan area, chances are you aren't going to have a lot of
                choices. Eg., here in the Cleveland, Ohio area there are Gelugpa,
                Japanese Zen, Cha'an (essentially Chinese Zen), and Nyingma. There's
                also a Vietnamese buddhist temple here too, but I haven't visited it
                yet, so don't know much about it. I don't understand the Vietnamese
                language at all, so it really isn't an option for me anyway.

                So though there are options in this town, it's not as if I can select a
                tradition from the complete list and then begin practicing that sort of
                buddhism. Well, if I didn't care about having a teacher, I could study
                on my own out of books and writings from the web. But having a teacher
                that you like, who is helpful to you, is very important in buddhism--
                more important (in my experience and to my way of thinking) than the
                particular tradition within buddhism.

                As for picking a teacher, most of that depends on you. Give a teacher
                some time. You can't really make snap judgments. Nor should you assume
                that the one teacher you decide to go with will be your one and only
                teacher forever. I just read that one of my teachers himself had 39 or
                40 teachers. Frankly, that was surprising to me, but thinking about it
                now, it seems to be a great aspect of buddhism.

                hth,
                ken

                --
                "When a society comes together and makes decisions in harmony,
                when it respects its most noble traditions, cares for its most
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                  Michael and group,

                  I follow Theravada Buddhism. I got serious about my practice about two years ago and I found a wonderful group of Buddhists that helped me decide what flavor of Buddhism I wanted to follow. It is at: <BuddhistWellnessGroup@yahoogroups.com>; You will find the group to be very helpful in any general practice questions and specific questions regarding Theravada Tradition. I personally selected Theravada because it is recognized as the most accurate documentation (The Pali Text), and it does not promote godly deities.

                  Metta,

                  Deep Bows,

                  Doug

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                    A lot of people get hung up on the idea that they need to sit cross legged
                    to be 'real Buddhists'. In cultures where sitting cross legged is part of
                    their culture then this not only makes sense but they also have the muscle
                    development to make this comfortable.

                    When an American sits cross legged it is so uncomfortable it distracts from
                    the purpose of the sitting. I think it is perfectly fine to sit in a chair
                    to meditate. I also have a kneeling seat and I can sit cross legged for a
                    time.

                    The important thing is to go back to basics, to what the Buddha taught. The
                    interesting thing is the 'New Buddhism' is actually the old Buddhism.

                    I also prefer Soto Zen but I enjoy reading about Chinese Buddhism and
                    Tibetan as well.

                    Rather then restricting yourself and saying which is best, why not embrace
                    them all.

                    JODY
                  • Tony Cartledge
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                      Well said. I find that often the weight of tradition and doctrine and confusing practises can obscure the simple purity of the Buddhist path.The best book for getting to the core of Buddhism, in my opinion, is Steve Hagen's 'Buddhism is not what you think.' It's brilliant and cuts through to the vital core of Buddhism that runs through every tradition.

                      Tony

                      On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Jody W. Ianuzzi <jody@...> wrote:

[...]

                      http://circumsceptic.wordpress.com/
                      Critical thinking and spirituality

                      http://www.planetarytypes.com.au
                      The Science of Celestial Influence
                    • michael
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                        Very well said, Jody and Ken.

                        Buddhism is changing in America just as It has adapted and changed in every other culture.

                        To learn more about the basics I suggest the newsletter from About.Com. Well written and easy to understand.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                          I think one great way of explaining how ways can be adapted by each culture
                          is in the martial arts. I have practiced the martial arts for 40 years Yes,
                          we wear Japanese uniforms for comfort and we bow but we also follow the bow
                          with a hand shake and a smile. Redundant? Sure, but so what.

                          JODY
                        • michael
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                            Doug, Yes, I belong to the Buddhist Wellness Group also.

                            The Owner is a fantastic Teacher, I highly recommend the group.

                            Doug, may I ask you a question off group? It's a little sensitive but is something I am having a real problem with.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                              Good point.

                              "Old" age makes it impossible for me to sit in the Lotus or even half Lotus position but with a bench, zafu and some "support" cushions I can sit cross legged with out pain.

                              It really does not matter how you sit as long as you Sit.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                                I've been thinking about this question of which style of Buddhism is best.
                                It reminds me of the question of what form of martial art is best. This is
                                a question everyone asks when they start the martial arts. If you only
                                limit yourself to one style then you are missing out. I have studied at
                                least 8 styles and I have learned a lot from each.

                                I suppose to be philosophical, it is like comparing the mountains and the
                                oceans, which one is best, you can't compare.

                                JODY
                              • Jody W. Ianuzzi
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                                  Oh yes, I love that book! I think the title is very clever.
                                  Buddhism, it's not what you think. Hahahaha

                                  JODY
                                • Dougbert
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                                    Michael,

                                    I am at your service! Please, anything I can help you with, I am here for you. I wish I had Buddhists in my meetings to talk to. I am a lonely Buddhist.

                                    Metta,

                                    Deep Bows,

                                    Doug

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                                      Hi Jody,

                                      I am a Master Mason. We are not big on Catholic church since the church killed all the Knights Templar (Friday the 13th). We don't believe in god, but we do recognize a Supreme Architect of the Universe! That definition works for me because that does not mean some old man is running upstairs with a T-square or slide rule. We don't even say "Amen." We say: "So Mote It Be."

                                      Metta,

                                      Deep Bows,

                                      Doug

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                                        Hi Doug,

                                        Excuse my ignorance, I don't know much about the Masons, can you explain
                                        more? Now the irony is that my mother's maiden name is Mason.

                                        JODY
                                      • Dougbert
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                                          When we talk about western Buddhism, it is difficult because our culture is so multi-tasking, hard driving, work ethic. For years, I identified as a Buddhist, mainly to piss off the Christians. Then I decided I would embark on a spiritual sabbatical vs. retirement. I did retire, but my resume says Sabbatical. I found Theravada Tradition and the Pali text. It works for me.

                                          The one aspect of Buddhism that is ripe for western indoctrination is Walking Meditation. Currently, Thich Nhat Hank seems to be leading the charge on this practice (see Tricycle - Summer 2011). But, I am encouraged and excited about walking meditation, because it provides mental and physical value. I still struggle with Monkey Mind, but I do walking meditation for 5 miles/ 4 to 5 times a week. When I can't sit, I walk. I wish we had an American sponsor for walking meditation. We would have to eliminate any reference to Buddhism or the religious right would denounce it. Get your Sketchers on!

                                          Metta,

                                          Deep Bows,

                                          Doug

[...]

                                            -----------------
                                            Michael
                                          • Dougbert
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                                              Hi Jody,

                                              Masons are the guys who built King Soloman's temple (3 times). Masons were the ones that built all the fine architecture in Europe. We study the universe. We are not a church and don't see the need. 19 U.S. Presidents were Masons. A very silent, but powerful organization. George Washington was a Mason. Google Freemasonry. UCLA offers a post grad history class about Masonry in America and the world. I suggest Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. Great read and very well researched. Bill W. stole the AA logo from Freemasonry. Dr. Bob Smith was a Mason.

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 9, 2011
                                                Ken,

                                                Vietnamese Buddhism is regional and historical depending on which colonial power was attempting to control Vietnam. In the Delta region, Theravada is prevalent. Mahayana is in the north, when the Communists allow it. You can also find Zen from Japanese occupation. Thich Nhat Hanh follows Zen tradition. As you move to Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand, Sri Lanka, and Burma, Theravada is the preferred tradition.

                                                Metta,

                                                Deep Bows,

                                                Doug

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 10, 2011
                                                  Hello Doug,

                                                  Yes, I did know many Presidents have been Masons. I have also heard that
                                                  Washington DC is arranged in a Mason pattern.

                                                  JODY