Re: Where?

  • nancy lemke
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2004
      ---
      hi craig,,,i am so very proud of you. two years is a life time to be
      sober and i for one think you're doing a wonderful job. hang in
      there one day at a time and i know you will. namaste, nancy

    • Craigincardiff@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 7, 2004
        Thankyou Nancy for your kind words.I have found so many helpful, GENUINE people within Buddhism that keep me strong. The temptation remains but my studies and meditation, not to mention the people I have met, have changed my life so much for the better. I hope you have a lovely time in Oz (lucky you)!
        I am planning a trip to India in Oct/Sept' time and would appreciate any advice from previous travellers. Thanks.
        With Metta
        Craig
      • vorian@mail.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 7, 2004
          Nancy, have a good time. Buddhism is also about enjoying life.

          Craig, I hope you have a wonderful, safe trip. Be careful, these are not safe times in that part of the world.

          From: Craigincardiff@...
          Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 08:30:53 EDT
          To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [Buddhism_101] Re: Where?

          > Thankyou Nancy for your kind words.I have found so many helpful, GENUINE
          > people within Buddhism that keep me strong. The temptation remains but my
          > studies and meditation, not to mention the people I have met, have changed my life
          > so much for the better. I hope you have a lovely time in Oz (lucky you)!
          > I am planning a trip to India in Oct/Sept' time and would appreciate any
          > advice from previous travellers. Thanks.
          > With Metta
          > Craig

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Accept my words only when you have examined them for yourselves; do not accept them simply because of the reverence you have for me. Those who only have faith in me and affection for me will not find the final freedom. But those who have faith in the truth and are determined on the path, they will find awakening.

          -Majjhima Nikaya-
        • jeempc
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 7, 2004
            Hello all. I am new and my name is Jim. One of the reasons I am
            searching for spirituallity is because of my alchol abuse and carnal
            lust I guess. I get obsessed at times with sex and or drinking. I like
            to escape and enter that floating feeling.
            This is very self destructive so I am looking for something to replace
            it. What advise can anyone give for someone in my situation. I have
            been down the AA route before but I am looking for something different.

            --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "nancy lemke" <hippienl@h...> wrote:
            > ---
            > hi craig,,,i am so very proud of you. two years is a life time to be
            > sober and i for one think you're doing a wonderful job. hang in
            > there one day at a time and i know you will. namaste, nancy
            >
            > In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Craigincardiff@a... wrote:
            > > In a message dated 01/06/2004 20:17:14 GMT Standard Time,
            > > ponce_yanez@y... writes:
            > >
            > > > My greatest obstacle is selfishness, or self-gratification. I
            > used
            > > > to struggle with drugs, alcohol, and carnal lust. these things
            > are
            > > > not running my life any more. Buddhist studies are the reason I
            > > > have been able to transform myself so that I am not obsessed by
            > > > needing a rush of any kind. I am a broken person seeking
            > > > wholeness. Maybe this list may put me in contact with others
            > who
            > > > can share their experiences. Maybe I can take assume their
            > wisdom
            > > > without having to suffer through the lesson myself. Just my .02
            > > >
            > > > Metta,
            > > >
            > > > Ponce
            > > >

            > > Dear Ponce
            > > I struggled with alcohol and drugs for many years. I have been
            > clean now for
            > > two years and it has been Buddhism that has helped me. I had a
            > problem about
            > > A.A (despite it helping millions worldwide!!), I just didn't get
            > along with it.
            > > I would be happy to share my experiences etc. with you if you
            > want. I also
            > > feel like a broken person seeking wholeness.
            > > With metta
            > > Craig
          • ponce_yanez
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 8, 2004
              --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "jeempc" <jeempc@l...> wrote:
              > Hello all. I am new and my name is Jim. <

              Hi Jim,

              I appreciate you sharing. I also tried the twelve-step thing and
              also tried to turn my problems over to that "higher power" via the
              Christian philosophy. It didn't work for me on a number of levels.
              I find that Buddhism works because it places accontability square on
              me. I can no longer use excuses as a way to remain captive to
              addictions and obsessions.

              The Middle Way of Buddhism tells us that we suffer because of our
              own actins. Anger, fear, jealousy, hatred; when we give ourselves
              over to these we engage the world as adversaries. Everything
              becomes a battle and every dawn is a losing prospect because we find
              ourselves defeated at the day. The reason I quit drinking was
              because I chose to. Fortunately, I had met a some wonderful people
              via Buddhanet and some other forums. This got me interested is
              pursuing Mindfulness as a way of life.

              I would be honored to share experiences with you. There is another
              on this list named Craig who has been down a similar path. Karma is
              a powerful thing. When we aspire to virtue we seem to find others
              who have felt the same pain and suffering that we face. I don't
              believe that is coincidence. Good karma is scriptural. Right now I
              am looking diligently for a teacher. I don't want to get stuck and
              lose the desire to keep striving. We need to love each other, we
              are all we've got.

              Peace,

              Ponce
            • Tee Williams
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 8, 2004
                1st step look inside yourself.to find the difference.then luck will follow. stay balance

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • monkette1
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 9, 2004
                  Dear Ponce, Jim, Craig and all Sangha,

                  I too struggle with addictions. According to Buddhism, there's a better way than
                  struggling. Here are a few excellent Buddhist teachings by Pema Chodron that resonate
                  with me. I've probably posted them before, so forgive me.

                  It's hard for my ignorant and stubborn mind to grasp that it's better to stay with the
                  uncomfortable stuff and work with it, rather than numb or divert or bliss out on drugs,
                  food, accumulating things, etc. The need to constantly seek comfort and security from
                  outside is deeply ingrained in me.

                  http://www.shambhalasun.com/Archives/Features/2003/200303mar/
                  200303_chodron_pema_shenpa.htm

                  http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/addictions.php

                  Peace in the dharma,
                  Diana

                • Craigincardiff@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 12, 2004
                    I couldn't agree more Ponce!
                    With Metta
                    Craig
                  • nancy lemke
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 27, 2004
                      --- wow, india....that's wonderful. we are now back home and had a
                      wonderful time. i would tell you to wear loose clothing on the
                      plane. long hours can get uncomfortable. do not drink carbonated
                      drinks...they bloat you. eat light! slepp when you can. take your
                      time and enjoy yourself. walk on the plane...helps circulation.
                      while in oz...we went to a buddhist temple outside of melbourne. we
                      met w/Ven.Kotte /santhindriya Thero(M.A.) a lovely man. he talked
                      w/us for quite awhile then we saw the shrine room in their quarters
                      and he gave me a book, blessed my prayer beads and gave me a
                      buddhist name "vishsaka". i was so honored and humbled. i had been
                      there 3 years ago and so was happy to return. out back we saw a
                      bunch of kangaroos........my husband got good pics of them. this
                      visit to the temple was the highlight of our trip. so, when you go
                      to india do your best to take in everything you can. namaste, nancy