Where?

  • Peckabigail@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
      Nancy,

      What need is met for you by reading the posts from this list?

      We have just had a sunny bank holiday here in the UK so few people have logged on.

      I wanted to share with you a thought I had.  I was having a negitive moment thinking I would never reach enlightenment.  Then I thought, why not? What is my biggest obstical?

      I decided that my biggest obstical was the Hermes Birkin bag.  This is because I have always lusted after one.  Considering they are £20,000 each I decided I always will.  Should I strike it lucky and win the lottery I would spend my money on quite a few things before I bought a Birkin.  So the lust would remain.  Say I was Madonna rich I would buy one.  Then here comes the reality.  Would I enjoy walking around with £20,000 on my arm?  Of course not, I would look at it and think of all the more reasonable things I could spend on it, the people it could have fed etc.  So, for many years, I have lusted after something that if I owned would give me no pleasure .  I decided to stop lusting.  A local high street store is doing a very nice copy at a price suitable for earthlings, so I asked dh to buy me one for my birthday.  The Birkin no longer blocks my path.

      Anyone want to share their biggest obstical?

      Abigail
    • ponce_yanez
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Peckabigail@a... wrote:
        > Nancy,
        >
        > What need is met for you by reading the posts from this list?

        Speaking for myself, I don;t consider wanting to communicate with
        others an obstacle. I enoy reading the posts. I have learned of
        good Dharma resources and have enjoyed the insight of others. I
        think that's just part of community. One of the problems with a
        personal philosphy is that it may get so personal you never share
        with anyone. Then no one benefits from an exchange of ideas.

        My greatest obstacle is selfishness, or self-gratification. I used
        to struggle with drugs, alcohol, and carnal lust. these things are
        not running my life any more. Buddhist studies are the reason I
        have been able to transform myself so that I am not obsessed by
        needing a rush of any kind. I am a broken person seeking
        wholeness. Maybe this list may put me in contact with others who
        can share their experiences. Maybe I can take assume their wisdom
        without having to suffer through the lesson myself. Just my .02

        Metta,

        Ponce
      • nancy lemke
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
          ---
          well first of all i joined this group to learn and meet others on
          the buddhist path if you will. i was just wondering where everyone
          was. just for your info..i do belong to two other buddhist groups
          and they have posts everyday and i also have my own support group
          for fibromyalgia and there are plenty of posts all the time there.
          we had over 600 last mo. so, when i didn't see any posts for a few
          days i was wondering out of compassion where every one was...i don't
          meet any need by readig the post.i truly enjoy reading them and
          learning.
          as for any obstical....i have a family to take care of and not a
          whole lot of time just for me...mostly at night after i go to bed.
          if i were to be living by myself i would be commited more than i can
          be now...i do all i can at the present time. i am not worried about
          it at all. namaste, nancy

          In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Peckabigail@a... wrote:
          > Nancy,
          >
          > What need is met for you by reading the posts from this list?
          >
          > We have just had a sunny bank holiday here in the UK so few people
          have
          > logged on.
          >
          > I wanted to share with you a thought I had. I was having a
          negitive moment
          > thinking I would never reach enlightenment. Then I thought, why
          not? What is
          > my biggest obstical?
          >
          > I decided that my biggest obstical was the Hermes Birkin bag.
          This is
          > because I have always lusted after one. Considering they are
          £20,000 each I decided
          > I always will. Should I strike it lucky and win the lottery I
          would spend my
          > money on quite a few things before I bought a Birkin. So the lust
          would
          > remain. Say I was Madonna rich I would buy one. Then here comes
          the reality.
          > Would I enjoy walking around with £20,000 on my arm? Of course
          not, I would
          > look at it and think of all the more reasonable things I could
          spend on it, the
          > people it could have fed etc. So, for many years, I have lusted
          after
          > something that if I owned would give me no pleasure . I decided
          to stop lusting. A
          > local high street store is doing a very nice copy at a price
          suitable for
          > earthlings, so I asked dh to buy me one for my birthday. The
          Birkin no longer
          > blocks my path.
          >
          > Anyone want to share their biggest obstical?
          >
          > Abigail
        • nancy lemke
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
            ---
            excellent,,,,thanks for your input....hugs, nancy

          • Craigincardiff@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 4, 2004
              In a message dated 01/06/2004 20:17:14 GMT Standard Time, ponce_yanez@... writes:

              My greatest obstacle is selfishness, or self-gratification.  I used
              to struggle with drugs, alcohol, and carnal lust.  these things are
              not running my life any more.  Buddhist studies are the reason I
              have been able to transform myself so that I am not obsessed by
              needing a rush of any kind.  I am a broken person seeking
              wholeness.  Maybe this list may put me in contact with others who
              can share their experiences.  Maybe I can take assume their wisdom
              without having to suffer through the lesson myself.  Just my .02

              Metta,

              Ponce

              Dear Ponce
              I struggled with alcohol and drugs for many years. I have been clean now for two years and it has been Buddhism that has helped me. I had a problem about A.A (despite it helping millions worldwide!!), I just didn't get along with it. I would be happy to share my experiences etc. with you if you want. I also feel like a broken person seeking wholeness.
              With metta
              Craig
            • nancy lemke
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 4, 2004
                ---
                hi craig,,,i am so very proud of you. two years is a life time to be
                sober and i for one think you're doing a wonderful job. hang in
                there one day at a time and i know you will. namaste, nancy

              • Craigincardiff@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 7, 2004
                  Thankyou Nancy for your kind words.I have found so many helpful, GENUINE people within Buddhism that keep me strong. The temptation remains but my studies and meditation, not to mention the people I have met, have changed my life so much for the better. I hope you have a lovely time in Oz (lucky you)!
                  I am planning a trip to India in Oct/Sept' time and would appreciate any advice from previous travellers. Thanks.
                  With Metta
                  Craig
                • vorian@mail.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 7, 2004
                    Nancy, have a good time. Buddhism is also about enjoying life.

                    Craig, I hope you have a wonderful, safe trip. Be careful, these are not safe times in that part of the world.

                    From: Craigincardiff@...
                    Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 08:30:53 EDT
                    To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: Re: [Buddhism_101] Re: Where?

                    > Thankyou Nancy for your kind words.I have found so many helpful, GENUINE
                    > people within Buddhism that keep me strong. The temptation remains but my
                    > studies and meditation, not to mention the people I have met, have changed my life
                    > so much for the better. I hope you have a lovely time in Oz (lucky you)!
                    > I am planning a trip to India in Oct/Sept' time and would appreciate any
                    > advice from previous travellers. Thanks.
                    > With Metta
                    > Craig

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Accept my words only when you have examined them for yourselves; do not accept them simply because of the reverence you have for me. Those who only have faith in me and affection for me will not find the final freedom. But those who have faith in the truth and are determined on the path, they will find awakening.

                    -Majjhima Nikaya-
                  • jeempc
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 7, 2004
                      Hello all. I am new and my name is Jim. One of the reasons I am
                      searching for spirituallity is because of my alchol abuse and carnal
                      lust I guess. I get obsessed at times with sex and or drinking. I like
                      to escape and enter that floating feeling.
                      This is very self destructive so I am looking for something to replace
                      it. What advise can anyone give for someone in my situation. I have
                      been down the AA route before but I am looking for something different.

                      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "nancy lemke" <hippienl@h...> wrote:
                      > ---
                      > hi craig,,,i am so very proud of you. two years is a life time to be
                      > sober and i for one think you're doing a wonderful job. hang in
                      > there one day at a time and i know you will. namaste, nancy
                      >
                      > In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Craigincardiff@a... wrote:
                      > > In a message dated 01/06/2004 20:17:14 GMT Standard Time,
                      > > ponce_yanez@y... writes:
                      > >
                      > > > My greatest obstacle is selfishness, or self-gratification. I
                      > used
                      > > > to struggle with drugs, alcohol, and carnal lust. these things
                      > are
                      > > > not running my life any more. Buddhist studies are the reason I
                      > > > have been able to transform myself so that I am not obsessed by
                      > > > needing a rush of any kind. I am a broken person seeking
                      > > > wholeness. Maybe this list may put me in contact with others
                      > who
                      > > > can share their experiences. Maybe I can take assume their
                      > wisdom
                      > > > without having to suffer through the lesson myself. Just my .02
                      > > >
                      > > > Metta,
                      > > >
                      > > > Ponce
                      > > >

                      > > Dear Ponce
                      > > I struggled with alcohol and drugs for many years. I have been
                      > clean now for
                      > > two years and it has been Buddhism that has helped me. I had a
                      > problem about
                      > > A.A (despite it helping millions worldwide!!), I just didn't get
                      > along with it.
                      > > I would be happy to share my experiences etc. with you if you
                      > want. I also
                      > > feel like a broken person seeking wholeness.
                      > > With metta
                      > > Craig
                    • ponce_yanez
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 8, 2004
                        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "jeempc" <jeempc@l...> wrote:
                        > Hello all. I am new and my name is Jim. <

                        Hi Jim,

                        I appreciate you sharing. I also tried the twelve-step thing and
                        also tried to turn my problems over to that "higher power" via the
                        Christian philosophy. It didn't work for me on a number of levels.
                        I find that Buddhism works because it places accontability square on
                        me. I can no longer use excuses as a way to remain captive to
                        addictions and obsessions.

                        The Middle Way of Buddhism tells us that we suffer because of our
                        own actins. Anger, fear, jealousy, hatred; when we give ourselves
                        over to these we engage the world as adversaries. Everything
                        becomes a battle and every dawn is a losing prospect because we find
                        ourselves defeated at the day. The reason I quit drinking was
                        because I chose to. Fortunately, I had met a some wonderful people
                        via Buddhanet and some other forums. This got me interested is
                        pursuing Mindfulness as a way of life.

                        I would be honored to share experiences with you. There is another
                        on this list named Craig who has been down a similar path. Karma is
                        a powerful thing. When we aspire to virtue we seem to find others
                        who have felt the same pain and suffering that we face. I don't
                        believe that is coincidence. Good karma is scriptural. Right now I
                        am looking diligently for a teacher. I don't want to get stuck and
                        lose the desire to keep striving. We need to love each other, we
                        are all we've got.

                        Peace,

                        Ponce
                      • Tee Williams
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 8, 2004
                          1st step look inside yourself.to find the difference.then luck will follow. stay balance

                          Do you Yahoo!?
                        • monkette1
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 9, 2004
                            Dear Ponce, Jim, Craig and all Sangha,

                            I too struggle with addictions. According to Buddhism, there's a better way than
                            struggling. Here are a few excellent Buddhist teachings by Pema Chodron that resonate
                            with me. I've probably posted them before, so forgive me.

                            It's hard for my ignorant and stubborn mind to grasp that it's better to stay with the
                            uncomfortable stuff and work with it, rather than numb or divert or bliss out on drugs,
                            food, accumulating things, etc. The need to constantly seek comfort and security from
                            outside is deeply ingrained in me.

                            http://www.shambhalasun.com/Archives/Features/2003/200303mar/
                            200303_chodron_pema_shenpa.htm

                            http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/addictions.php

                            Peace in the dharma,
                            Diana

                          • Craigincardiff@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 12, 2004
                              I couldn't agree more Ponce!
                              With Metta
                              Craig
                            • nancy lemke
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 27, 2004
                                --- wow, india....that's wonderful. we are now back home and had a
                                wonderful time. i would tell you to wear loose clothing on the
                                plane. long hours can get uncomfortable. do not drink carbonated
                                drinks...they bloat you. eat light! slepp when you can. take your
                                time and enjoy yourself. walk on the plane...helps circulation.
                                while in oz...we went to a buddhist temple outside of melbourne. we
                                met w/Ven.Kotte /santhindriya Thero(M.A.) a lovely man. he talked
                                w/us for quite awhile then we saw the shrine room in their quarters
                                and he gave me a book, blessed my prayer beads and gave me a
                                buddhist name "vishsaka". i was so honored and humbled. i had been
                                there 3 years ago and so was happy to return. out back we saw a
                                bunch of kangaroos........my husband got good pics of them. this
                                visit to the temple was the highlight of our trip. so, when you go
                                to india do your best to take in everything you can. namaste, nancy