Re: [Buddhism_101] really confused

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2010
      Lauren,

      The same sort of thing has happened to me before. Sometimes a text is
      not meant for a beginner. It might contain a lot of unfamiliar terms
      which make understanding quite difficult. Or sometimes it's not
      actually that the text is difficult, but rather it "strikes close to
      home"... i.e., it is so relevant to me that my mind is flashing like
      crazy, thinking about what the author has written. Going into overload,
      the mind just says, "Let's go into Dreamland... this is all too much to
      process cognitively... we'll let dreams process it." And so I fall asleep.

      This is my experience. It's impossible for me to know what's happening
      for you. Perhaps it's something else, something completely different
      from the two possibilities mentioned above.

      Perhaps it would be better for you to read the Dalai Lama book when you
      have more energy, or just a page or a paragraph now and then... not too
      much all at once.

      hth,
      ken

      --
      Find research and analysis on US healthcare, health insurance,
      and health policy at: <http://healthpolicydaily.blogspot.com/>

      On 08/05/2010 05:32 AM Lauren Merryfield wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I am trying to read "how to see yourself as you really are," by the
      > Dalai Lama. The first 2 cds, I had to read three times because either
      > my mind kept wandering off or I fell asleep. I was listening to the 3rd
      > cd tonight and just couldn't follow it. I feel really stupid. I
      > finally decided I am not ready for that book and I need to go back to
      > "an open heart," and reread that.
      >
      > I seem to be okay listening to Pema Chodron, but other Buddhists, I get
      > really confused. I thought I was an intelligent person and did well in
      > school etc, but I feel like now that I am older, and trying to
      > understand Buddhism, that I really am not very smart. Some of the stuff
      > is about whether we exist or not, and good ol' "emptiness."
      > Namaste,
      > Lauren
      > I think laughter may be a form of courage. As humans we sometimes
      > stand tall and look into the sun and laugh, and I think we are never
      > more brave than when we do that.
      > -- Linda Ellerbee (1944- ) American Journalist
      > My new book, "there's more than one way to love a cat," is available at
      > amazon.com
      > Visit us at catliness.com

    • tbirlin
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2010
        Yes, Lauren, much Buddhist literature is indeed really confusing. You are definitely not alone on that issue! At the same time, there are some books -- and authors -- that are clearer than others. One of the clearest and most profound that I've ever read is "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rimpoche. It is also very much in keeping with the content and spirit of this group. I would highly recommend that title. I think you'll like it.

        Best,
        Tom

        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Lauren Merryfield" <lauren1@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > ... I thought I was an intelligent person and did well in school etc, but I feel like now that I am older, and trying to understand Buddhism, that I really am not very smart....
        > Namaste,
        > Lauren
      • Lauren Merryfield
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2010

          Hi,
          Thanks!  I usually listen to 1 cd at a time, but sometimes that is too much info.  And my mind does go off onto other things that are triggered by what the author is saying.  I think I was really tired last night anyway, and I don't have to read every day.