Newbie question/Emptiness

  • Jack Frost
    Message 1 of 921 , Mar 21, 2010
      I decided recently to begin a more serious interest in Buddhism, though I have had an interest in the concepts for most of my life (I'm 53).   I should probably add I'm English so my trained thought processes are western.

      On the subject of emptiness, I am having a lot of trouble with this.  Perhaps it's the term, perhaps "emptyness" in English carries too many meanings that are invalid here?

      But going on, I have read 3 arguments for the emptyness of "I" and have trouble with all of them as the logic appears to me to be flawed.

      The body is not I.   Okay, got that.
      The mind is not I.  No problems.
      The combination of body and mind cannot be I as I is not in either.  No problems.

      Then we get the bit I have problems with:

      If you take away the body and the mind, if "I" is not empty then you should be able to find it.   Why?   Why can't it just be an undetectable by worldly means, spirit of some kind.   Perhaps we don't have sensitive enough instruments?   Perhaps it is in a different dimension?  Regardless, to my mind I see the "we should be able to find it" a flawed statement with no truth to back it.   It seems to be a "fact" that is unprovable and there cannot actually be a fact.   And if so, one cannot state that I has no inherent existance.

      I fully appreciate that the "me" that exists day to day and is stuck in Samsara and thinks crazy thoughts is dependant-arising, but I would not call that "I" anyway.   "I" for me has always been some core central thing almost without thought even that exists in it' own right.

      Or perhaps like I suspect with the term "emptyness", somethings are getting lost in translation to english?

      If anyone can give some insight here I'd be very grateful.

      Thanks,

      Jack.
    • Analine Tsepal
      Message 921 of 921 , Aug 6, 2011