Re: A Teacher

  • Wan Wai
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 10, 2009
      Hi Robert,
      Vows are the basis for Buddhist practice , and from Buddhist view we have had countless lifetimes of delusions and negativity , if we did not we would be enlightened by now after countless lifetimes . And hence holding of vows help us to rehabituate to doing positive habits and not create new negative karma to the best of our ability.

      Five precepts or the mahayana eight precepts one can hold it for one day its not a continuous thing .there are things like refuge vows , bodhisattva vows and tantric vows those we hold for a lifetime.

      To help people familiarize with holding vows , are the precepts. In Asia, people hold them for special events Buddha's birthday , someone we love birthday's to accrues merit or to benefit the person we are dedicating to.

      Holding or not holding the five precepts right is a very small thing , not one that one would severe the relationship with a teacher for IMHO. Its ok to say I'm not ready . But vows are not something 'THOU SHALT NOT' not in that sense, it protects us from what ? Protects us from creating further negativity , which will fuel more suffering for us to endure, ripening of Karma.

      If we kill , we will have illness that shortens our live
      if we steal , people will steal from us and we will never be able to keep the things we have,
      if we lie, people will never believe us and will not want to work with us
      if we take too much alcohol, we may end up drunk driving kill someone, or pick up someone horrible ( joke )
      if we have sexual misconduct - our relationships will be difficult , fraught with arguments and disharmony, we will be lonely

      some examples that I have illustrated here :)

      I hope that helps. Vows are for our protection it is not solely to restrict what we can or cannot , however if one wants to sow something not good, be prepared to reap the results. Cause and effect.

      Hope that helps :)

      Best Wishes

    • rocammack@s6
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 17, 2009
        Friends

        Returning to my questions regarding a teacher.  I wrote to her to say that at this moment, due to my level of understanding of Buddhism, I did not wish to accept any commitments regarding the Five Precepts even though I am living with these as muy guide as well as everything else I am learning.

        I received a rather curt answer and best wishes for the future - So I shall go on as before.

        Many thanks to you all

        In Kindness

        Robert
      • peace_tara531
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 20, 2009
          Congratulations. You made a positive, responsible decision. Good
          beginning to finding the teacher for you.

          There are good Buddhist online courses have you looked at any?

          Mat all be auspicious,

          Tara

          --- "rocammack@..." <cammack@...> wrote:

          > Friends
          >
          > Returning to my questions regarding a teacher. I wrote to her to say
          that at this moment, due to my level of understanding of Buddhism, I did
          not wish to accept any commitments regarding the Five Precepts even
          though I am living with these as muy guide as well as everything else I
          am learning.

          > I received a rather curt answer and best wishes for the future - So I
          shall go on as before.

          > Many thanks to you all
          >
          > In Kindness
          >

          > Robert

        • Karen
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 20, 2009

            There are good Buddhist online courses have you looked at any?
            Can you point me in the direction of these please?

             Karen Tritton
            S.N.H.S Dip. (Aromatherapy)
            B.S.Y.A. (Ad. Crystal)
            A.M.A.N.F
            Usui Reiki Master/Seichim/Karuna ®Reiki Master
            Crystal Therapist/Angel Practitioner
            Crystal Skull Guardian
            Accredited "Melody" Crystal Healer Practitioner
            www.Crystal-Moon.org.uk

            --- "rocammack@. .." <cammack@... > wrote:

            > Friends
            >
            > Returning to my questions regarding a teacher. I wrote to her to say
            that at this moment, due to my level of understanding of Buddhism, I did
            not wish to accept any commitments regarding the Five Precepts even
            though I am living with these as muy guide as well as everything else I
            am learning.

            > I received a rather curt answer and best wishes for the future - So I
            shall go on as before.

            > Many thanks to you all
            >
            > In Kindness
            >

            > Robert

          • Jane Harper
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 20, 2009
              http://onlinelearning.fpmt.org/

              --
              No matter how much people seem to be careening off the road, they always
              have a good heart. The negative things that they do are due to their NOT
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 21, 2009
                We just rented a really good documentary titled Unmistaken Child from
                Netflix. Here is the Netflix description: JODY

                Unmistaken Child

                Nati Baratz follows the spellbinding journey of Tibetan Buddhist monk
                Tenzin Zopa as he travels far and wide to identify the child who is the
                reincarnation of his deceased master, Lama Konchog. Acting on instructions
                from the Dalai Lama,
                the shy Zopa relies on astrology, dreams and other signs to locate the
                child, knowing that if he succeeds, he must also convince the boy's parents
                to release their child into his care.