RE: [Buddhism_101] Dalai lama; an Atheist??

  • Steven Levey
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 4, 2009
      Jane,
            Theism does not necessarily mean or imply a God, especially in the the type of large human meant in Sectarianism. It means Deity in the sense of ruling direction or Law which rules, as in Deity Yoga.

      To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
      From: janeharper@...
      Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:23:35 -0500
      Subject: Re: [Buddhism_101] Dalai lama; an Atheist??

      Buddhism is a NON-theistic religion, James. There is no Creator God and the
      beings called "gods" and "goddesses" are mortal dwellers in samsara, same as
      we are. So technically I suppose His Holiness is an atheist.

      Jane

      On 9/4/09 07:20, "jamesstaples6th" <jamesstaples6th@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I keep getting junk which claims that the Dalai lama is an atheist.
      > I do not get it. What is it that supposedly makes him an atheist?
      > From what i have seen in Buddhism, it appears to me that it espouces a very
      > definet ' Something Big Out there"'. Where are there any denials of "Deity"?
      >
      > True, I do not see any Bible bashing Pulpit thumping gui;t and helfire
      > crap... but, i for one am doubting the atheism claims.
      > Cans someone enlighten me?
      >
      > Namaste'
      > James

      Jane Harper, PhD, RN, APN
      Trauma Nurse Practitioner, Rockford, IL

    • Jane Harper
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2009
        Re: [Buddhism_101] Dalai lama;  an Atheist?? In the dictionary sense, you are certainly correct.  However, the type of person who accuses another of atheism is not (in my experience) overly concerned about the fine points of lexicography  LOL

        Jane

        To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
        From: janeharper@...
        Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:23:35 -0500

        On 9/4/09 07:20, "jamesstaples6th" <jamesstaples6th@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I keep getting junk which claims that the Dalai lama is an atheist.
        > I do not get it.  What is it that supposedly makes him an atheist?
        > From what i have seen in Buddhism,  it appears to me that it espouces a very
        > definet ' Something Big Out there"'.  Where are there any denials of  "Deity"?
        >
        > True,  I do not see any Bible bashing Pulpit thumping gui;t and helfire
        > crap...  but, i for one am doubting the atheism claims.
        > Cans someone enlighten me?
        >
        > Namaste'
        > James

      • Steven Levey
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 5, 2009
          Good morning Jane.
                  I agree most folks will not, but I think we should know the distinction when dealing with the question of atheism. We aught to remember that folks who throw the word at HH or Buddhism in general are generally trying to make thm both look impotent when compared to monotheism. Of course, the effect of what they do is to distance themselves from the great truth they so badly need in their lives.

          Steven

          To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com

          From: janeharper@mac. com
          Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:23:35 -0500

           Buddhism is a NON-theistic religion, James.  There is no Creator God and the
          beings called "gods" and "goddesses" are mortal dwellers in samsara, same as
          we are.  So technically I suppose His Holiness is an atheist.

          Jane

          On 9/4/09 07:20, "jamesstaples6th" <jamesstaples6th@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          >
          > I keep getting junk which claims that the Dalai lama is an atheist.
          > I do not get it.  What is it that supposedly makes him an atheist?
          > From what i have seen in Buddhism,  it appears to me that it espouces a very
          > definet ' Something Big Out there"'.  Where are there any denials of  "Deity"?
          >
          > True,  I do not see any Bible bashing Pulpit thumping gui;t and helfire
          > crap...  but, i for one am doubting the atheism claims.
          > Cans someone enlighten me?
          >
          > Namaste'
          > James

        • Dr. Jane Harper
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 5, 2009
            If you say so, Steven :) It's all samsara anyway.

            Jane

          • jamesstaples6th
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 5, 2009
              Thanks all for the input. I was am in somewhat of the opinion that he is not such the atheist; agnostic, maybe, but all in all it seems to be a definition issue.

              From my experiance with "christians" if you are not a 'Christian- pick your flavor)' then ergo you are an atheist.

              As for me, i am of the opinion that the bible makes a case that all humanity... are Co-Equal Deity, "Behold, the man Has Become As One of US". There was No Fall of Adam in Reality or theory, and Jesus himself used the above quote to establish the Co-Equality of Humanity
              as Deity. Therefore, being "Saved" as it were, is not the 'come to jesus alter call, but the gradiation of Line upon Line
              Enlightenment. Creator Gods are a somewhat specious argument. Especially as We are all in the "Great Work" of Co-Creation with the Deities whom those using priestcraft try to create a wall of separation from. So, His Holiness is Deity, you are , I am (sorry),
              and there is no one and only Diety... save it be the Whole of Humanity
              Itself. And as this earth is not the only habited planet, we may safely look foreward to all non earth entities being Deities.

              so i can't help but chuck the 'Dalai Lama is an atheist' argument.

              If, there is a Creator god ala christian and monotheist definition, then it will be scientifically provable, and being a man who is fond of science... HHDL will most certainly be happy to acknowledge it.

              Glad i asked.

              James