Found a Temple

  • Mattscheck
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2004
      So I just found a Temple in my area. The web site says it welcomes new people. Guessing that would be me. I want to go Sunday. Here are some silly questions. What does one wear to Temple? Do you dress as if you were going to church? What do I take with me? Will there be an offering? I will be going along, and I am very nervous. Should I email, there is that option on the page. Any advice as to what to do, or what to expect would be appreciated.

      Dianna
    • vorian@mail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2004
        >What does one wear to Temple?
        Anything you want, as a beginner. You didn't say what type of center/temple it is. Wear something loose and comfortable, but clean and respectful of a religious place. Summertime, I wear a knit shirt and a loose fitting pair of jeans. No shorts or short skirts. Pants are best or a long Mumu type dress. Remember you, probably, will be sitting on the floor.

        >What do I take with me?
        Intelect and love. nothing else is necessary.

        >Will there be an offering?
        That is up to you. Most places request a donation. Usually, it is left to whatever you can afford. Usually, a new member is not asked for anything. $10 is more than enough. Less, if that is a problem, is certainly ok. Although, money is needed to run the center and support monks, it is not a primary consideration as in many Christian churches. My Center askes for nothing, and is supported by member's yearly donations.

        >I will be going along, and I am very nervous. Should I email, there is that option on the page.
        I am sorry that you will be going alone. It's nice to have support of a friend, even if it's their first, also. Definately email, or better, yet, call. Tell them it's your first and you are very apprehensive. They will probably assign someone to help you. If they don't mention it, ask. My center has a beginner's teaching, before the actual meditations start.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2004
          IT is a Jodo Shinshu Temple. If I decide to go, still deciding, I think I will call and ask if I can meet up with someone first.

          Dianna

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2004
            My first time at the Avalokitsharvara Practice Center, I was nervous also. I wore jeans and a T-shirt (a nice pair) and was refreshed to see I was not alone. There will probably be a donation box there, purely voluntary. I always leave at least ten dollars.
            Embrace your nervousness and watch how your heart will grow.

            It's truely a wonderful thing, this practice of ours.
            Om Mani Padme Hum

            > From: "Mattscheck" <mattscheck@...>
            > Date: 2004/04/29 Thu PM 04:59:15 EDT
            > To: <Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [Buddhism_101] Found a Temple
            >
            > So I just found a Temple in my area. The web site says it welcomes new people. Guessing that would be me. I want to go Sunday. Here are some silly questions. What does one wear to Temple? Do you dress as if you were going to church? What do I take with me? Will there be an offering? I will be going along, and I am very nervous. Should I email, there is that option on the page. Any advice as to what to do, or what to expect would be appreciated.
            >
            > Dianna

            Shin Bu Genrai Muni Do: By acting in accordance with the truth, we shall always emerge victorious.

            Morehei Ueshiba
            "O Sensei"
            founder of Aikido
          • vorian@mail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2004
              I'm not familiar with the name. I'll do a search. Sounds as if it is Zen?
              From: "Mattscheck" <mattscheck@...>
              Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:19:28 -0700
              To: <Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com>

            • ironcatapiller@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2004
                how does one find a temple or place of practice? I live in northern Indiana, and i have not been able to find anything,,,,,, but that may be  because i am looking in all the wrong places. i tried the phone book,,,, kinda poked around on the internet,,,, they should have a temple finder where you can just enter in where you live and poof,,,, there it is. any  info would be greatly app. also does anyone do the meditation where chanting is involved????
                thankyou
              • vorian@mail.com
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2004
                  I have to drive about an hour to my Dharma center. Be prepared for a little trip. I also go to Bloomington, In, to the Tibetan Cultural Center, there (about a 2 1/2 hour drive). It is run by the Dalai Lama's brother and nephew. It's worth the drive, a beautiful place. The Chamtse Ling temple is open daily (meditations and teachings on Sun.). http://www.tibetancc.com/
                  Type this question into a Google search: Where can I find Buddhist centers in Northern Indiana. You will be surprised what you get. Surf the links. Also check out Tricycle magazine. Click "The Community>Dharma Center Listings" Then, in the popup, type in what you are looking for. http://www.tricycle.com/
                  Good luck,
                  From: ironcatapiller@...
                  Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 13:08:56 EDT
                  To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com