Dharma

  • Lucas
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 18, 2004
      You sound great, Nancy! Thank you for letting us know your progress,
      sharing like that is very very brave and helps more people open their hearts
      and minds.

      Maybe it's because this is a basic Dharma site, but I really like you people
      and think you are all very kind and interesting!

      Dear Dharma Brother Ken! When I was working ten day shifts I use to carry a
      book by Ven. Chogyam Trungpa in my pocket at work, a small book entitled
      "Meditation in Action". I would open it to any page when I had a minute and
      it would almost immediately put my mind at ease with a few words of wisdom
      to reflect upon.

      Palden Drolma
    • vorian@mail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
        Palden Drolma,
        Thanks for the advice. I actually carry a pocket book which is a transcript of H.H.'s teaching on The Four Noble Truths (done in Britian in 1996). I enjoy reading in it, any part at any time.
        The 12 hr shifts aren't so bad. I only have to work them, maybe, six or eight weeks out of the year.
        From: "Lucas" <abundanz@...>
        Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:34:52 -0700
        To: <Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [Buddhism_101] Dharma

        > You sound great, Nancy! Thank you for letting us know your progress,
        > sharing like that is very very brave and helps more people open their hearts
        > and minds.
        >
        > Maybe it's because this is a basic Dharma site, but I really like you people
        > and think you are all very kind and interesting!
        >
        > Dear Dharma Brother Ken! When I was working ten day shifts I use to carry a
        > book by Ven. Chogyam Trungpa in my pocket at work, a small book entitled
        > "Meditation in Action". I would open it to any page when I had a minute and
        > it would almost immediately put my mind at ease with a few words of wisdom
        > to reflect upon.
        >
        > Palden Drolma
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • SJ Garette
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 29, 2008
          Hello All,

          Although this Dharma inheres in each of us in abundance, it does not become visible without practice, nor is it realized without enlightenment.  If you  let it o, it fills your hand; yet transcends one and many.  If you talk about it, it fills your mouth; yet it is infinite in space and time.

        • SJ Garette
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 25, 2008
            Hi All,

            They are not following dharma who resort to violence to achieve their purpose.  But those who lead others through nonviolent means, knowing right and wrong, may be called guardians of the dharma.

            Dharma is not upheld by talking about it. Dharma is upheld by living in harmony with it, even if one is not learned.

            (from The Dhammapada translated by Eknath Easwaran)

          • SJ Garette
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
              Hi Everyone,

              Sincerity and faith are not things that come from outside or inside; they are only acquired by valuing the Dharma and transforming oneself completely.

              (Eihei Dogen in How To Raise An Ox)

              Greetings,

              Jade
            • James Flynn
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009

                He who draws noble delights from sentiments of poetry is a true poet, though he has never written a line in all his life.  ~George Sand, 1851

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
                  Hi James,

                  Very well put this quote, I like it.

                  Greetings,

                  Jade

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2009
                    Hi Everyone,

                    The Dharma was and is my shield, my umbrella in the worst storms. It's a shelter we can always rely on-if we simply remember to.

                    (Bhante Gunaratana in Journey To Mindfulness)

                    Greetings,

                    Jade