Buddhism and China

  • lars0522
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2002
      There are many different teachings/disciplines of Buddhism. Does any
      one know which discipline or teachings are mostly followed in China?
    • HeartwingsPapillons
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2002
        As I understand it, Zen & Pure Land are the major forms practiced in China.
        Since China already had Confucius & Taoism when Buddhism arrived from India,
        elements of these beliefs are also integrated into Chinese Buddhism.

        I believe I recently read that about 90% of China's population is Buddhist
        in some form, but the official state policy is one of no religion, so many
        people do not openly practice or admit it.

        Susan

        > There are many different teachings/disciplines of Buddhism. Does any
        > one know which discipline or teachings are mostly followed in China?

      • Christopher
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
          --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "lars0522" <lars0522@...> wrote:

          > There are many different teachings/disciplines of Buddhism. Does any
          > one know which discipline or teachings are mostly followed in China?

          ZEN.

          Zen is the form most followed in China.

          -Christopher
        • Yun Xing
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006

             Correct..  Chan (Dhyana) and Mi Zong (Secret School) of TIbet are mostly cultivated in China
             Peace,
             Yun Xing

            Christopher <smudgecapone@...> wrote:
            --- In Buddhism_101@ yahoogroups. com, "lars0522" <lars0522@.. .> wrote:

            > There are many different teachings/disciplin es of Buddhism. Does any
            > one know which discipline or teachings are mostly followed in China?

            ZEN.

            Zen is the form most followed in China.

            -Christopher

            ¾»ÐÄÔ°
            Jing Xin Yuan
            ̩ɽÎäµÀ¹Ý
            International Martial Arts Academy of TaiShan
            Taian(TaiShan),Shandong China

            www.jingxinyuan.com
            http://www.freewebs.com/yunxingpai/index.htm

          • moryashrama
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1 9:30 AM
              China extinguished true Buddhism in China lands.

              See the Shaoling Iron Arhat was forced to run away from China.
              He was the last Arhat of China.

              --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <smudgecapone@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "lars0522" <lars0522@> wrote:
              > >
              > > There are many different teachings/disciplines of Buddhism. Does
              any
              > > one know which discipline or teachings are mostly followed in China?
              > >
              > ZEN.
              >
              > Zen is the form most followed in China.
              >
              > -Christopher

            • Yun Xing
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1 5:29 PM

                 It is truly unfortunate for the develpment of Buddhism in China. My student has informed me that there is a Buddhist University in Southern and northern China, where those who wish to become monks, must attend the Buddhist University to learn 13 subjects in one semester for a few years inorder to become a monk. They learn all the academic subjects, english as well, and learn how to read old chinese language.
                  Also, they become certified and given a degree, so they can go and get a job as a head monk in a tmeple and earn money every month. At the end of the day, they are free to go home to their wives and children, or go and smoke their cigarettes and drink all they want.

                I respect the Sangha. Its develpment in certain manners must change if there is to be any further cultivators of high virtue, moral and of the way.

                 Peace,
                 Yun Xing

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2 2:29 AM
                  I found more info on the Dusshist University. It is a univsersity mainly of Buddhist sudies, offering academics. Which is a god thing in many aspects...

                  on the other hand, many who "graduate" get paid to work in monestaries as monks chanting and praying.

                  That was the deal. much of what I wrote before was misinformation. THis one is more accurate.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2 7:32 AM
                    Paid to work in a monestary chanting and praying?
                    Sign me up!

                    What a wonderful way to complete this samsaric cycle.

                    -C

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2 6:06 PM
                      The many who do this are not pure in mind and heart. It only strengthens their karma and keeps them here longer. Especially in this manner.. It deveops ill thoughts from people regarding the Sangha. Not good karma.

                      Maybe you would be sincere in it... but there are many who aren't, and they are helping give Buddhist Cultivation a bad name. People hardly respect the Sangha because of certain actions as this...

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3 9:13 AM
                        That is too bad. That situation certainly does not apply to me.
                        So are you saying that the sangha is being taken advantage of in it's
                        graceful accomodations?
                        I merely long for a physical sangha. Perhaps I will find one in my area.
                        And whom among us here is pure of mind and heart?
                        I would certainly not profess to be so.