9959Re: Jesus was Buddhist!

  • Sal_ B
    Oct 1, 2008
      John and Rob,

      I truly do not wish to hijack this thread. But....;)

      Having given thought to your words John, and aligning them to my
      current readings, I would have to come to the conclusion that Jesus
      was not a Buddhist. I would agree he more than likely studied the
      teachings of Bhudda.

      But to underlying message of Jesus, I would be more inclined to say
      that he aligned himself more with the living in the pure love of God
      from the Hindu Beliefs. As I read more of the Hindu teachings and
      compare them to the teachings of Christ, I see more purely the Hindu
      influence on Jesus.

      I interchange Jesus and Christ here simply as a point of Jesus the man
      who achieved enlightenment in the pure love of God and became the Christ.

      I assures you, the Bhudda's, The Hindu Saints, The Christ and the
      Christ like Saints of Christianity as well as the holy men all the
      peoples of the world conspire to see man achieve enlightenment.

      Namaste and Peace to All

      Sal

      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, John Pellecchia <pellejf@...> wrote:

      > Good morning Sal,
      >
      > I'm sure there are many sites on the Internet that misrepresent the
      concept of Buddhism especially that of Maitreya, Buddha, and Jesus. In
      fact on one such site they purport that Mohammed is really the
      expected Maitreya.

      > > "...then to what purpose is the belief of reincarnation. Is not
      the purpose of the reincarnation to learn that which one needs to
      obtain perfection. How is one to do so without the history of the past
      and the promise of the future.

      > "If there is no creator, then to what end of it all. Is it not the
      promise of being in the eternal presence of Gods Love which the soul
      follows and draws wisdom and strength from. For if there is nothing
      else once one has achieved perfection, then the promise of
      reincarnation would only lead one to not learn his or her lesson, not
      achieve perfection to gaurantee immortality. (I do love this debate
      simply that it is an exercise in spirituality on its most provoked
      level. I will respect your wishes and bait you no further.)"

      > Just remember that I am not a Lama or monk. I have no empowerments
      so much of what I am writing please take with that understanding.

      > As to a Supreme Being this is another contested belief among some
      Buddhists. This is one of the ten unanswered questions of the Buddha
      and I believe I wrote on this subject earlier. You may wish to read
      the following from "Good Question, Good Answer" by the Venerable
      Shravasti Dhammika at http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda03.htm .

      > Your statement, however, (at least to my understanding) presupposes
      that there is a permanent "soul" or atman. In Buddhism there is no
      such concept of soul but rather of non-soul (anatman) since no "thing"
      is permanent. The concept of "reincarnation" is a Hindu belief; that
      there is an eternal self (atman) that migrates from body to body prior
      to birth. Buddhists believe in "rebirth" although some use the two
      terms (reincarnation and rebirth) interchangeably. Upon attaining
      Nirvana one transcends the act of rebirth and ends the cycle of
      rebirth. No immortality. No living in some heavenly state of
      unspeakable bliss. No suffering. No rebirth. So, what is reborn until
      that state is achieved? In my understanding it is "consciousness" but
      it is clouded by our belief in "ego" or "self". We each have
      Buddha-nature as our natural state that is clouded by Samsara. We just
      have to awaken to make that realization. That is the reason we
      meditate, practice, and study.

      > Have a great day.
      >
      > May all be at peace.
      >
      > John
      >
      > Impermanent are all compounded things.
      > When one perceives this with true insight,
      > then one becomes detached from suffering;
      > this is the path of purification.
      > (Dhammapada 20.277)

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic