      From: Sal_ B <salbecker@...>
      Subject: [Buddhism_101] Re: Jesus was Buddhist!
      To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 8:54 AM

      John a Blessed Morning to you,

      Sorely misworded I apologize for the wording and making up the word

      misworded. I was truly asking the question as to the claim that Buddha

      foretold the coming of Christ as it is something I heard sometime back

      and do not remember the source.

      If in Buddhism there is not to be any thought or concentration to the

      past or the future, the "NOW" being the focus, then to what purpose is

      the belief of reincarnation. Is not the purpose of the reincarnation

      to learn that which one needs to obtain perfection. How is one to do

      so without the history of the past and the promise of the future.

      If there is no creator, then to what end of it all. Is it not the

      promise of being in the eternal presence of Gods Love which the soul

      follows and draws wisdom and strength from. For if there is nothing

      else once one has achieved perfection, then the promise of

      reincarnation would only lead one to not learn his or her lesson, not

      achieve perfection to gaurantee immortality. (I do love this debate

      simply that it is an exercise in spirituality on its most provoked

      level. I will respect your wishes and bait you no further.)

      I ask these questions and share my understanding as they are this

      point in my learning, in the spirit of learning, I thank you for you

      Namaste

      Sal

      --- In Buddhism_101@ yahoogroups. com, John Pellecchia <pellejf@... > wrote:

      > Good morning Sal,

      > > "Did not Buddha foretell the coming of Christ and call him greater

      than he?"

      > I'm not certain of the accuracy of this statement. I know of no

      sutra that makes such a claim. Perhaps you can cite the source? The

      Buddha Shakyamuni predicted the coming of the Maitreya (the future

      Buddha) but if one considers that to be Jesus the timeline of the

      sutras is off kilter with history. Anyway, how could one perfect

      being, i.e. a Buddha, be greater than another?

      > "According to some Buddhist traditions, the period of the Buddhist

      Law is divided into three stages: a first period of 500 years, of the

      turning the Wheel of the Law; a second period of 1,000 years, of the

      deterioration of the Law, and a third period of 3,000 years (called

      Mappo in Japan) during which no one practises the Law. After this,

      Buddhism having disappeared, a new Buddha will appear who will again

      turn the Wheel of the Law." (from

      http://www.buddhane t.net/e-learning /history/ maitreya2. htm ). We are

      currently closer to the Buddhist traditional timeline for Maitreya

      than that of the historical Jesus who appeared only some 500 after Buddha.

      > The sutra states:

      > �At that period, brethren, there will arise in the world an

      Exalted One named Maitreya, Fully Awakened, abounding in wisdom and

      goodness, happy, with knowledge of the worlds, unsurpassed as a guide

      to mortals willing to be led, a teacher for gods and men, an Exalted

      One, a Buddha, even as I am now. He, by himself, will thoroughly know

      and see, as it were face to face, this universe, with Its worlds of

      the spirits, Its Brahmas and Its Maras, and Its world of recluses and

      Brahmins, of princes and peoples, even as I now, by myself, thoroughly

      know and see them� (Digha Nikaya, 26).

      > Of course all of this is a moot point since we are taught to be

      concerned with neither the past nor the future but only the present;

      this Now. I leave this for others to consider.

      > Since I do not subscribe to a Supreme Being (God) I will leave that

      fetter untied (smile). I've discussed that issue far too often in the

      past.