9648existential psychology (and: Re: Great book--Buddhist, yet not)

  • lorilynkay
    Aug 4 11:26 PM
      Ken,
      I couldn't agree with you more, I worked in Pharmacies for 20years,
      my father, brother, and cousin are Pharmacists, and my other brother
      in a Naturopathic doctor.

      Some people actually need medication, and some people are over
      medicated, and some people could be cure with alternative medicine, or
      no medicine at all.

      I have a few pet peeves. One of my peeves is that the drug companies
      make T.V. commercial touting their drug over other drugs in the same
      category, and doing so to the point where people walking into doctors'
      offices and demanding the drug that they saw on T.V. Whether the drug
      is the right drug for them or not. Doctors are handing out Rx's for
      statin drugs like they were candy, just to name one.

      Medical drugs are being pushed onto society, and things end up where
      everyone thinks that there is a pill for everything. There is not a
      pill for everything. We are in a world of suffering, and these past
      few generations do not know how to handle suffering even to the
      slightest level. We are a nation of wimps. We whine and cry over a
      stuffy nose, and think its the end of the world.....

      In my opinion, the big drug companies are (and have) set up a scenario
      to lead our nation into becoming "A Drug Dependant Nation" Be it
      either Rx's or OTCs.

      We are a magic pill society

      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@...> wrote:

      > Tamara,
      >
      > It was apparent to me and, I think, everyone here that you weren't
      > making a blanket statement for everyone. Even doctors cannot and would
      > not prescribe medications or change prescriptions without consulting
      > personally with the individual needing help.
      >
      > In my previous email on this topic (from some time ago... but that's
      > fine... one of the great things about email) I disparaged pills quite
      > strongly. I did so because I see a lot of people taking pills when much
      > less hazardous and more healthy alternatives are available. And it
      > wasn't too long ago that my physician prescribed for me antibiotics for
      > treatment of an influenza virus. I asked him if the antibiotic would
      > have any effect on the virus (I knew that it wouldn't) and he didn't
      > reply at all... but he did cancel the prescription. I worked at a
      > number of children's social service agencies and saw psychotropic drugs
      > prescribed to children who obviously didn't need them. A friend of mine
      > who is a nurse has told me of many cases she knows of where, based on
      > her experience of multiple decades, prescribed medication was
      > unnecessary. Another friend of mine has been taking blood pressure
      > medication for years. Due to a pause in his business, he finally had
      > time to do something he truly enjoyed. He went to work on a car which
      > has been waiting for him in his driveway for more than a year. After
      > just a few days of working on it, his blood pressure went down to almost
      > normal levels. And in the week or so since then he's lost so much
      > weight that he can't wear the same pants he used to. Who knew that his
      > doing something that he enjoyed, that he could and wanted to give his
      > full and undivided attention to, would be more effective in lowering his
      > blood pressure than the medication was able to? His doctor certainly
      > didn't. But then how could he, trained as he is in pharmaceutical
      > solutions so much more than in the healing power of the mind?
      >
      > On the other hand, I had a good friend who, after an extreme psychotic
      > episode, was prescribed lithium. She took this regularly, but after
      > awhile said she wanted to reduce it. Reasoning with her that at times
      > she might not be the best judge of her own condition, I had her promise
      > me that she wouldn't do this unless I agreed. We both agreed that she
      > could reduce from four pills a day to three and see how things went.
      > Instead she reduced the dosage to two. Then, again against my advice,
      > she went off the lithium completely three weeks later. During this time
      > she also refinanced her home against my advice, signing on to an
      > adjustable rate mortgage (ARM) of the kind that has helped topple our
      > economy and which has led to many people losing their homes. Then I
      > stopped hearing from her except for terse replies that she didn't want
      > me to contact her anymore. From this, it's obvious to me that there
      > certainly can be cases where medication is warranted.

> [...]
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic