9644existential psychology (and: Re: Great book--Buddhist, yet not)

  • lorilynkay
    Aug 3, 2008

      In my humble opinion, I wouldn't try to go off of your medications at
      this time in your life. Right now, if medicine is keeping your mind at
      an even keel, it is essential that you take it.

      When you become a somewhat seasoned Buddhist, and have learned how to
      overcome the mind and it's emotions by practicing, practicing, and
      practicing over and over again; and are more grounded in the depths of
      Buddhist psychology, not by head knowledge, but by experience, and
      have found your Teacher (if you are of a school that believes in
      having a Teacher for one's self) That might be a time when you might
      try tittering down your medication. Please keep your relationship
      with your doctor, and let him/her help you come of your medications if
      you feel you are ready.

      Please don't come off of you medications on your own. You can still
      be a Buddhist and take medication. You can still practice and take

      Don't get stuck on that part of Buddhism, because then it will become
      your focus, and defeat the process of emptiness. So don't worry about
      it now, just focus on your practice and gaining the wisdoms of
      Buddhism. Strengthen yourself through meditations, and mantras.

      Please don't let the thought that you must come off of your meds to be
      Buddhist become an obsession. Don't worry, just be happy. There is a
      time for everything, and everything will happen when the time is right.

      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Tamara <savepawsfurever@...> wrote:
      > I'm a bit late on responding to this turn of the conversation, but I
      suffer from chronic depression and each time I've tried to shake
      myself free of the pharmaceuticals, I've had serious problems...ending
      up in a place so deep and dark that I can't reach myself through
      meditation. To me, I either have to take pills and live or don't take
      them and die. This may change at some point, but for now I admit I'm
      too scared to rely on my control of my mind--it is actually a physical
      problem in my brain.
      > However, you are correct that in so many cases of mental illness it
      is indeed possible for us to aid or even cure some illnesses through
      meditation (understanding our minds). As things progress and
      scientists understand our minds more and more, I can indeed see a day
      where most, if not all mental illnesses are cured or at least lessened
      by the "mind over matter" that a meditation practice can provide.