5772Habitual Megalomania ... !!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Dec 1, 2005

      Friends:

      'I am Better' and other false conceits arise from Attachment!

      Bhikkhus, when what exists, by clinging to what, by holding badly on to what,
      do such thoughts occur: 'I am superior' or 'I am equal to' or 'I am inferior' ?
      Venerable Sir, our understanding are rooted in the Blessed One, guided by
      the Blessed One, is initiated by the Blessed One. It would indeed be good if
      the Blessed One would explain the meaning of this subtle question in detail.
      Having heard this from the Buddha, the bhikkhus will remember & preserve it!
      When there is the eye, the ear, the nose, the tongue, the body & the mind,
      bhikkhus, by clinging to, by adhering to eye, ear, nose, tongue, body & the mind,
      these thoughts occur: 'I am superior' and 'I am equal to' and 'I am inferior'!
      What do you think, bhikkhus, is the eye permanent or impermanent?
      Impermanent, Venerable Sir...
      Is the ear permanent or impermanent? Impermanent, Venerable Sir...
      Is the nose permanent or impermanent? Impermanent, Venerable Sir...
      Is the tongue permanent or impermanent? Impermanent, Venerable Sir...
      Is the body permanent or impermanent? Impermanent, Venerable Sir...
      Is the mind permanent or impermanent? Impermanent, Venerable Sir...
      But without clinging to what is impermanent, suffering, & subject to change,
      could these thoughts occur: 'I am superior' or 'I am equal' or 'I am inferior ???
      No, Venerable Sir...
      Understanding this, the intelligent Noble Disciple is disgusted with the eye, the
      ear, the nose, the tongue, the body & the mind... Disgust produces disillusion ...
      This disillusion induces by relinquishment a mental release !!!
      When detached the mind is unagitated! Being entirely imperturbable one attains
      Awakening right there & instantly understands: This mind is eternally freed ... !!!
      Rebirth is ended, this Noble Life is concluded, done is what should be done,
      there is no state beyond or exceeding this ...

      Source:
      The Grouped Sayings by the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya. Book IV 88
      The 6 senses section 35. Thread on 'I Am Superior': Seyyo Sutta (108)

      http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/index.html

      PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then
      will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!!

       Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

       Friendship is the Greatest ...
       Let there be Calm & Free Bliss !!!

       NEW WEB !
      !!  http://What-Buddha-Said.net
       Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.