13309Re: [Buddhism_101] Re: Meditation, Concentration and Mindfulness

    Sep 3 2:42 PM
      Don,

      Please understand that I am not a Buddhist teacher. I'm merely a practitioner. Also, some of what you ask may be dependent upon the tradition that one practices.  That's why I strongly suggest one finds his teacher. If I remember from a prior post you practiced Zen and TM (sorry I am of no help with the latter). I believe you have a good foundation in calm abiding practices since you studied Zen. That being said, I'll try to answer from my perspective for whatever it's worth.

      You don't mention when you meditate, how and where. This may have some bearing on your concerns.

      >>When I try to take in everything and analise what is going on I get all kinds of twinges of negative feelings and thoughts.  Guilt that is not attached to any wrong doing like low self-esteem and worries about nothing
      specific just a feeling of general fear.  Am I doing it wrong or do these thing extinguish themselves in time?

      Don, focus on samatha for the time being. Sometimes we try to advance too quickly. Don't attempt vipassana at the present. Continue to focus on the basics: the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eight-fold Path as you stated earlier. There is no need for "regret" (the term "guilt" reminds me too much of Abrahamic beliefs). If you're counting the breath, you're not doing anything "wrong". Just relax in a comfortable position in a place with little or no distractions. Most find the morning to be an ideal time. The feelings of edginess and fear (maybe "apprehension" is a better term?) will, I believe, dissipate as you progress in practicing samatha.

      Hope this is of some help.

      When things become manifest
      To the ardent meditating brahmin,
      All one's doubts then vanish since one understands
      Each thing along with its cause.

      (Udana 1:1)

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic