13245Transcendental Meditation: research [was: Re: Hello! New to group]

  • sparaig
    Jul 31, 2011
      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "mssonni1" <msfrtune13@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for this info, John. TM is a kind of Reader's Digest version of basic Hindu meditation techniques.

      Hi. I caught this thread through google so apologies to all for darting in on a group that I have no real interest in, but regardless...

      If you are certain that TM is a kind of Reader's Digest version of basic Hindu meditation techniques, you are amazingly wrong. Just because you don't understand the amazing gift you have received by learning TM, doesn't mean it isn't an amazing gift.

      I challenge you to find research on pure consciousness, breath suspension, and the stabilization of pure consciousness outside of meditation, that has been published by studying practitioners of any other meditation technique. TM's strength is that it is simple. Far simpler than you appear to understand (and far simpler than I understand either, of course).

      Research on the physiological correlates of pure consciousness found during TM practice:
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7045911
      Breath suspension during the transcendental meditation technique.

      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10512549
      Pure consciousness: distinct phenomenological and physiological correlates of "consciousness itself".

      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9009807
      Autonomic patterns during respiratory suspensions: possible markers of Transcendental Consciousness.

      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10487785
      Autonomic and EEG patterns during eyes-closed rest and transcendental meditation (TM) practice: the basis for a neural model of TM practice.

      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19862565
      A self-referential default brain state: patterns of coherence, power, and eLORETA sources during eyes-closed rest and Transcendental Meditation practice.

      Research on the physiological correlates of the stabilization of pure consciousness outside of meditation in long-term TM meditators:

      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12406612
      Patterns of EEG coherence, power, and contingent negative variation characterize the integration of transcendental and waking states.

      http://www.tm.org/american-psychological-association
      Abstract for the 2007 Conference of the American Psychological Association
      Brain Integration Scale: Corroborating Language-based
Instruments of Post-conventional Development

      Research on the physiological correlates of the stabilization of pure consciousness outside of meditation in non-meditators:

      http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2009.01007.x/full
      Higher psycho-physiological refinement in world-class Norwegian athletes: brain measures of performance capacity
    • Show all 32 messages in this topic