11435Re: [Buddhism_101] pronunciation of Tibetan terms & names & mantras on websites

    Oct 4, 2009
      Hi, Osel,

      Thanks for your reply. I looked around tibetanlanguage.org and didn't
      find any audio files. I'm not really looking to learn the Tibetan
      language anyway. I just want to hear how a few words are pronounced,
      preferably from someone who actually speaks the language. I've studied
      several languages and actually learned a couple and know that there's
      some things you just can't get from a book. There's a musicality to
      language, even when it's not sung. It's an aspect of language generally
      overlooked by American teachers of foreign languages who seem to view
      language as a mechanical assemblage of parts. It's probably a good part
      of the reason why so few native-born Americans actually speak foreign
      languages.

      Well, not to get into a criticism of the American educational system or
      into a theory of language, I just want to hear specific Tibetan words,
      names and phrases as spoken by native speakers. It's hard to believe
      that I'm the only non-Tibetan speaker who has an interest in this,
      (though I think I've been the only one in the world on other, but much
      more recondite issues).

      Youtube is nice for some things. A lot of the videos there, however,
      are quite distorted, sounding more like a machine gun from outer space
      or an echo chamber hell than anything remotely human... great stuff for
      sci-fi flicks though. The videos on the topics I was interested were,
      unfortunately, all this way. And, finally, as said, a .wav file of
      someone's voice is not difficult to produce... and I still believe that
      people would seek it on the web. The web does offer quite a few
      buddhist mantras for cell phone ring tones, I discovered. And I did
      find something which purports to be an mp3 of the mantra I was looking
      for, only to discover that the new Linux distribution I just installed
      last week has no facility for playing mp3s!? So maybe I found what I
      was looking for (just for myself, just for today), but I won't know
      until after I plough through some technical swamps.

      Addressing your first questions last, actually I go to my local sangha
      quite often... not as often as I would prefer, but life is full of
      necessary trivialities. This is, after all, samsara. But no, there are
      no Tibetan speakers there in any event (what the relevant point to this
      thread touches), and so no help on that count.

      To that very point, however, it seems near to unjust that there are so
      many wise, learned, talented, and compassionate Tibetans who would love
      to come here, but thirty people across an entire city can't afford to
      sponsor them. Samsara is really messed up, don't you think?

      We'll be okay though.

      On 10/04/2009 03:06 PM Jane Harper wrote:

      > Ken: I'm presuming from your question that you do not have a teacher with
      > whom you're in regular contact, nor do you regularly attend a Dharma center.
      > I'm in the same boat, and had the same concern -- and found that most
      > traditions make recordings available via their web shops, and there are lots
      > of recordings on YouTube that contain non-initiatory material.
      >
      > You could also fairly easily learn to read the Tibetan for yourself, just
      > for the sound -- check out tibetanlanguage.org.
      >
      > Osel
      >
      > On 10/4/09 13:38, "ken" <gebser@...
      > <mailto:gebser%40mousecar.com>> wrote:
      >

      >> One minor but significant difficulty I often have in my practice-- and
      >> I'd expect many others do too-- is an inability to know how to pronounce
      >> Tibetan names and terms. I feel this inability most when learning a new
      >> mantra, but at other times too.
      >>

      > --
      > No matter how much people seem to be careening off the road, they always
      > have a good heart. The negative things that they do are due to their NOT
      > having pure perception. (Chokyi Nyima Rimpoche)

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic