Friday Chat - Right Speech - Tonight @ 10pm Eastern

  • rayh12@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2009

      Buddhism Basics and Beyond Chat
      Fridays at 10pm Eastern

      Come to share your thoughts and quotes on the  4th Noble Truth The Path Leading to the Cessation of Suffering.

        We are continuing our series this week on the FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS.  We are going to use the same format we have used the last few weeks of sharing thoughts and quotes based around this subject.  As we continue with our discussion of the Eightfold Path, this week we move from the Wisdom group to the Sila or Morality Group.  This week we are going over the 3rd Path Factor or Right Speech.  Bring you thoughts on what is Right Speech and why it is important within the Path to Enlightenment.  So come to the chat with your insights, thoughts and quotes on Right Speech!!

      Below is a short article on Right Thought and a number of links.

       Hope to see you at the chat....

           Join us in our peer led discussion, in  the Buddhism, Basics and Beyond chat room,  Buddhism Basics and Beyond   (clickable link).  Our chat starts at 10pm Eastern.
      And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, and from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
      Abandoning false speech...He speaks the truth, holds to the truth, is firm, reliable, no deceiver of the world...

      Abandoning divisive speech...What he has heard here he does not tell there to break those people apart from these people here...Thus reconciling those who have broken apart or cementing those who are united, he loves concord, delights in concord, enjoys concord, speaks things that create concord...

      Abandoning abusive speech...He speaks words that are soothing to the ear, that are affectionate, that go to the heart, that are polite, appealing and pleasing to people at large...

      Abandoning idle chatter...He speaks in season, speaks what is factual, what is in accordance with the goal, the Dhamma, and the Vinaya. He speaks words worth treasuring, seasonable, reasonable, circumscribed, connected with the goal...

      In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial (or: not connected with the goal), unendearing and disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

      In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, unendearing and disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

      In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing and disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.

      In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial, but endearing and agreeable to others, he does not say them.

      In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, but endearing and agreeable to others, he does not say them.

      In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing and agreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has sympathy for living beings.

      Noble Eightfold Path - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia