Friday Caht - Second Noble Truth - Cause of Suffering - @ 10pm Eastern

  • rayh12@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2009
      Buddhism Basics and Beyond Chat
      Fridays at 10pm Eastern

      Come to share your thoughts and quotes on The Cause of Suffering.

        We are continuing our series this week on the FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS.  We are going to use the same format we have used the last few weeks of sharing thoughts and quotes based around this subject.  This week we will be sharing our thoughts and quotes on the Second Noble Truth, The Cause of Suffering.  The entire chat will be based around the First Noble Truth.  In the following weeks we will go over each of the other Noble Truths.

        Before we go over the Cause of Suffering I would like to review the three aspects of suffering, we did not go over this last week and they will help us to make sense of the cause.... After this part are the links for tonight's topic....Ray

      Suffering (or unsatisfactoriness) can be distinguished in three types:
      1. Suffering of suffering: this refers to the most obvious aspects like pain, fear and mental distress.
      2. Suffering of change: refers to the problems that change brings, like joy disappears, nothing stays, decay and death.
      3. All-pervasive suffering: this is the most difficult to understand aspect, it refers to the fact that we always have the potential to suffer or can get into problematic situations. Even death is not a solution in Buddhist philosophy, as we will simply find ourselves being reborn in a different body, which will also experience problems.  From wbe page A Veiw on Buddhism The Four Noble Truths
      .
         Below is a short article on the Four Noble Truths, and there are some links you can look at.

       Hope to see you at the chat....

           Join us in our peer led discussion, in  the Buddhism, Basics and Beyond chat room,  Buddhism Basics and Beyond   (clickable link).  Our chat starts at 10pm Eastern.

      The Four Noble Truths

       The Four Noble Truths comprise the essence of Buddha's teachings, though they leave much left unexplained. They are the truth of suffering, the truth of the cause of suffering, the truth of the end of suffering, and the truth of the path that leads to the end of suffering. More simply put, suffering exists; it has a cause; it has an end; and it has a cause to bring about its end. The notion of suffering is not intended to convey a negative world view, but rather, a pragmatic perspective that deals with the world as it is, and attempts to rectify it. The concept of pleasure is not denied, but acknowledged as fleeting. Pursuit of pleasure can only continue what is ultimately an unquenchable thirst. The same logic belies an understanding of happiness. In the end, only aging, sickness, and death are certain and unavoidable.

      The Four Noble Truths are a contingency plan for dealing with the suffering humanity faces -- suffering of a physical kind, or of a mental nature. The First Truth identifies the presence of suffering. The Second Truth, on the other hand, seeks to determine the cause of suffering. In Buddhism, desire and ignorance lie at the root of suffering. By desire, Buddhists refer to craving pleasure, material goods, and immortality, all of which are wants that can never be satisfied. As a result, desiring them can only bring suffering. Ignorance, in comparison, relates to not seeing the world as it actually is. Without the capacity for mental concentration and insight, Buddhism explains, one's mind is left undeveloped, unable to grasp the true nature of things. Vices, such as greed, envy, hatred and anger, derive from this ignorance.

      The Third Noble Truth, the truth of the end of suffering, has dual meaning, suggesting either the end of suffering in this life, on earth, or in the spiritual life, through achieving Nirvana. When one has achieved Nirvana, which is a transcendent state free from suffering and our worldly cycle of birth and rebirth, spiritual enlightenment has been reached. The Fourth Noble truth charts the method for attaining the end of suffering, known to Buddhists as the Noble Eightfold Path. The steps of the Noble Eightfold Path are Right Understanding, Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration. Moreover, there are three themes into which the Path is divided: good moral conduct (Understanding, Thought, Speech); meditation and mental development (Action, Livelihood, Effort), and wisdom or insight (Mindfulness and Concentration).