Tibetan Thankas and Thai Precious Gems

  • David Bingell
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      First; does anyone know what the Precious Gems are at the feet of many
      different figures in Tibetan Buddhist Thankas? They are usually a
      small pile of orbs that are in many colors.

      Secondly; in Thailand and I've since found out, several other places in
      Southeast Asia and even further north, there is something referred to
      as a Precious Gem, that comes from the ashes of a wise, quite possibly
      enlightened person. They are called sarira/sharira. They are round,
      and come in many colors and these colors can change, due to what
      circumstances, I haven't found anyone to answer that either.

      Lastly; is it possible that the Precious Gems in Tibetan iconography
      and the Precious Gems of Southeast Asia are the same? And please,
      don't answer with "could be" or "interesting idea" ... it would be nice
      if someone placed some thought to this, as I have.

      Thank you deeply, each one,
      David