Re: [BuddhismBasicsAndBeyond] Re: Buddhism and Native Americans

  • David Bingell
    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 1, 2008
      As i have been told, the wheel does appear in Native America; it just wasn't applicable for a number of reasons.  In South America, the Amazon Basin did not allow for extensive road building in pre-Columbian times.  Also, the scree fields on both sides of the Andes is too unstable for wheels (or flying saucers at Nazca).

      The terrain (so i've been told) in Central America is not conducive to the use of wheels, and the large buildings would not have been supported by two spindly wheels, so tree trunks were utilized, along with pure back work of thousands of people ... possibly a way to keep conquored people in line.

      Lastly, in Native North America, the wheel again makes an appearance, but only as what archaeologists call a "toy".  The vast prairies and Mississippi/Missouri drainage patterns were not conducive to wheel technology that existed in pre-Columbian days ... they would sink under any weight.

      Now, again, i say that i'm interested in communication within the individual that brought about enlightenment.  This is utterly fascinating to me, and why i'm in a Buddhist chat room.

      I'm also very interested in non-liinear communication (along with a colleague of mine) and we're working on a theory to show that simply because "letters" and "sentences" were not used in the pre-Columbian Americas extensive communication (grammar and syntax) DID exist in shapes and colors ... for those of you who know what a parfleche is, think of the complex patterns on them, and that they could be seen for many hundreds of yards (i know about the heiroglyphs of Central America ... compare them to ancient Egyptian, and you'll have virtually identical complex grammar and syntax, so it's counted "out" by some researchers ... not sure why, sorry ... though i've been told on the side line that they appear to be the same thing, just culturally influenced ... what???).

      Again, a return to the Buddhist Chat room ... very different meaning between Green Tara and White Tara, and aren't there 21 of them?  So the use of color is increadibly significant.  Blue Medicine Buddha ... Green Milarepa ... so this is the direction, ultimately, i'm working.

      Ryan Harrison <soam_k@...> wrote:
       " I didn't know about the wheel thing   soam mentioned    did you ?"
                       Jonn

      John, I read this in a book, the name of the book escapes me right now, i think it is called "1492". I will find out and get back to you. It is worth the read if you are into culture. But basically the book blows the lid off of  a lot of beliefs held by most "old school" archaeologist. Most of it is about the south American cultures when the Spanish arrived. It is written by an PHD archaeologist whom has spent his life studying the sites down there. Very enlightening as far as there cultural practice and the "intelligence" in the culture. Some great questions are asked, like "wow what an incredible calendar, but why you didn’t the culture use a wheel to help in life??" Very interesting stuff. It also goes into great detail of the Spanish arrival and the disease and pestilence that ensued. It talks briefly about Cahokia and the mound cultures of N. America .

      <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
      <!--[endif]-->
      Quote form david~~~~
      “for example, when archaeologists finally started diging below the "Clovis Layer" on the East Coast (both of the Carolinas , for instance), they found, to their surprise, human habitation!  And to make things even more interesting, the artifacts they were finding were one generation removed in time from central France .  The history the local tribes that remain in the area were able to provide is that they came from out of the water in the east.  As of my last reading on this subject, the site is nearly 20,000 years old, with about a 500 year lag in the stone working technology of France and the East Coast.”
      Nicely put david.
      To add to this, there are very few  stratified sites in north Carolina . One site (hardaway-baucomb)  here near badin North carolina has human evidence 23 feet down, plenty past hardaway and clovis layers. The site very interesting.  Most sites in NC are in the first 12 inches of soil. I personally have been on several Clovis sites and the technology we find is very similar in all the knapping stages to the european knapping styles.
      This is good stuff.  I personally know of one site that has pre-clovis evidence mixed in with Spanish glass beads. The site is huge and covers acres and acres vitually 1000’s of years of information.
      Thanks for all the info and post.
      Ryan

    • xixthlegion@aol.com
      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 4, 2008
        More of an occupation than an invasion :)