Compassion

    Message 1 of 134 , Nov 1, 2003
      " . . . some people get the impression that compassion,
      lovingkindness, forgiveness, these things are religious matter. So
      someone who has no special interest in religion then these people
      also seem completely neglected about these inner values. I think
      that's a mistake.

      "Firstly, these basic human values are from the birth, these are very
      much living, but religious faith comes later. Then also you see
      people feel the practice of compassion is something good for other,
      not necessarily to oneself. I think that is totally a mistake.

      "So I think a sense of compassion, sense of caring, a sense of
      concern for the other actually, I think, widens our mind.

      "So on the other hand, the self-centered think only of oneself. Then
      whole of mind then narrowed. As a result, even small problems look,
      appear unbearable. Think about others: widens our mind."

      ~ H. H. the Dalai Lama, from a public talk in Boston - transcript of
      excerpts from the Dalai Lama's speech given at the Fleet Center in
      Boston, September 14, 2003.

      http://www.beliefnet.com/story/132/story_13269_1.html

      May this be of Benefit.
      Message 134 of 134 , Jul 24 2:55 PM
        "The Dalai Lama was once asked
        "who is your role model?"
        He replied immediately,
        "The Weeper. The Weeper is a man in Tibet who is so moved by even the
        smallest or slightest suffering, that he weeps whenever he sees
        suffering."
        <snip>
        Shedding tears of compassion is one of the dimensions of being human.
        Our feelings are not just about our "personal stuff".
        They're part of the gift of our emotional intelligence,
        part of the gift of our larger selves.
        This is not to say we should indulge or wallow in our pain for the
        world.
        Nor is it good to wallow in too many TV/media images of suffering.
        Stay fairly well-informed,
        but stay open to the immediacy of life around you,
        and allow compassion to arise from that."
        http://www.flinders.edu.au/oasis/religiousgroups/buddhist/docs/Bobbi's%202nd%20Talk.doc