Compassion

    Message 1 of 134 , Oct 1, 2003
      "Karuna is the attitude conveyed by such terms as compassion,
      sympathy, pity, and mercy. Its basic characteristic is sympathy for
      all who suffer, and it arouses a desire to relieve or remove the pain
      and suffering of others. Karuna helps to eliminate callousness and
      indifference to others' woes. It is the direct antidote to cruelty,
      another vice common in the world today. It is compassion that prompts
      one to serve others selflessly, expecting nothing, not even
      gratitude, in return."

      Robert Bogodo,"A Simple Guide to Life"
      Buddhist Publication Society

      The Wheel Publication No. 397/398
      ISBN 955-24-0125-9

      Message 134 of 134 , Jul 24, 2008
        "The Dalai Lama was once asked
        "who is your role model?"
        He replied immediately,
        "The Weeper. The Weeper is a man in Tibet who is so moved by even the
        smallest or slightest suffering, that he weeps whenever he sees
        suffering."
        <snip>
        Shedding tears of compassion is one of the dimensions of being human.
        Our feelings are not just about our "personal stuff".
        They're part of the gift of our emotional intelligence,
        part of the gift of our larger selves.
        This is not to say we should indulge or wallow in our pain for the
        world.
        Nor is it good to wallow in too many TV/media images of suffering.
        Stay fairly well-informed,
        but stay open to the immediacy of life around you,
        and allow compassion to arise from that."
        http://www.flinders.edu.au/oasis/religiousgroups/buddhist/docs/Bobbi's%202nd%20Talk.doc