Dealing with Anger

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2003
      Dealing with Anger

      "Irritation is really a form of anger. Anger is the mind state that
      dislikes what is happening, and it strikes out against it. It is a
      state that desires separation from what is happening, for to be angry
      means to be separate. Anger wants to create distance and
      disconnection. It is a state of mind that does not cling to things
      but rather, searching for faults, pushes away from them. When anger
      is a strong factor of mind, it is often a consequence of projecting
      outward our inner dissatisfaction. Everywhere we look, we see what is
      wrong. When we walk into a room we are bound to see what we don't
      like. We don't like what that person is wearing, and we don't like
      who that person is with, and we don't like the wallpaper and on and
      on. We all probably know people who don't seem to be satisfied in any
      situation, who have perpetually soured expressions on their faces,
      who are often so reactive. All from the sheer force of habit of being
      angry.

      "Anger, in itself, is not best viewed as bad or wrong. It is simply
      another state of mind that arises in reaction to circumstances. It is
      natural to feel angry at times, especially when confronted by cruelty
      or injustice, and this anger can burn through the fog of apathy that
      surrounds such issues. When we find ourselves in a situation where we
      feel unseen or unrecognized, where others have put us in a box, we
      again might well react with anger. Even though this is
      understandable, it is still painfully limiting and confusing. Our
      minds become narrow and our hearts shut off. We feel very alone, and
      we may seek to gain control without perhaps fully understanding a
      situation.

      "It is not that we should condemn ourselves for feeling anger, but we
      do need to understand how anger functions and how it affects us. Does
      it give us the energy to make change in a sustained way? Does it
      allow us to see clearly? Does it actually enable us to control a
      situation, a person, our body or our mind? Does it give us skill in
      making change? Or in pain and delusion, do we lash out in ways that
      prevent effective change?

      "We must, for the benefit of all, investigate the nature of anger
      because it is such a powerful energy and so destructive when we are
      lost in it. When we can face our anger without being afraid of it, or
      angry about it, or defenseless in the face of it, then we can come
      close to it. We can see the threads of different feelings – the
      sadness, the fear –woven throughout it; we can see its true nature.
      When we can uncover the feelings of helplessness and powerlessness
      that often feed anger, we can transform them and find refuge in
      courage and compassion as we meet difficulties. We can use the sheer
      energy of anger without getting lost in or overcome by its tremendous
      deluding and fixating quality. Mindfulness opens up a world of
      options to the angry mind."

      ~ Sharon Salzberg, from featured discussion on Beliefnet.com's
      Buddhism web site, "Buddhism Basics"