The Four Supreme Efforts, Part IV

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2003
      "To develop wholesome states of mind means that we try to cultivate
      these, when they have not arisen yet. If the mind is neutrally
      engaged or has a tendency to weigh, judge and criticize, feel hurt or
      be ego-centered, we deliberately counteract these tendencies to
      develop skillful mind states. We acknowledge that all negative states
      are not conducive to our own happiness, peace and harmony. When we
      develop loving-kindness, compassion, sympathetic joy and equanimity,
      we experience that these states are conducive to our own inner well-
      being. Obviously we will then try again and again to cultivate the
      mind states which result in personal contentment. Developing them
      from that understanding alone, that the wholesome states are good for
      us, is a powerful insight. When our mind is at peace, we realize that
      while there are innumerable unwholesome situations in the world, if
      we have an unwholesome reaction to them, that only doubles
      the 'dukkha.' It will neither relieve the situation, nor be helpful
      to anyone. . ."

      ~ Ayya Khema, "(To Be Seen) Here and Now" section entitled "Supreme
      Efforts"

      This transcript can be found in its entirety at:
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/modern/khema/herenow.html