The Four Supreme Efforts, Part III

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2003
      The Four Supreme Efforts, Part III

      "When we have not been able to avoid an unwholesome mind, we have to
      practice to overcome it. Because of the difficulty of becoming aware
      in time to avoid negativities, we have to be very clear on how to
      overcome them. Dropping a thought is an action and not a passive
      reaction, yet it is difficult to do, because the mind needs something
      to grasp. In meditation we need a subject, such as the breath or the
      feelings/sensations to hold onto, before the mind can become calm and
      peaceful. When we want to overcome unskillful mind states, it is
      easier to substitute with wholesome thinking, than just trying to let
      go of unwholesomeness.

      "If we entertain the negative mind states for any length of time,
      they become more and more at home. As they make themselves
      comfortable, we are more and more inclined to believe them and
      finally come out with thoughts such as `I always hate people who
      don't agree with me` or `I always get nervous about thunder.` These
      statements are designed to show one's own unchanging character,
      giving our ego an extra boost. The only reason these states might
      have become ingrained in our character is that having entertained
      negativities for so long, one can no longer imagine to be without
      them. Yet these are nothing but unskillful mind states, which can and
      need to be changed. The quicker we substitute, the better it is for
      our own peace of mind. . ."~ Ayya Khema, "(To Be Seen) Here and Now"
      section entitled "Supreme Efforts"

      This transcript can be found in its entirety at:

      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/modern/khema/herenow.html