The Four Supreme Efforts - abandoning harmful states, cultivating positive

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2003
      The Four Supreme Efforts, Part I

      "The Buddha gave very exact instructions how to counteract any
      unskillful mind states and produce skillful ones. They can briefly be
      expressed as `avoiding,` `overcoming,` `developing,` and
      `maintaining,` and are called the four supreme efforts, which have
      been briefly mentioned before. They are part of the 37 factors of
      enlightenment, so must be part of our practice. When perfected they
      are part of the enlightenment process. . .

      "The four supreme efforts are called `supreme,` not only because they
      are supremely difficult, but also supremely beneficial. A serious
      meditator wants to transcend the human realm while still in human
      form and these efforts are our challenge. They are so well explained
      by the Buddha that we can clearly see the difficulties we are faced
      with and the reasons why we are still roaming about in `Samsara.` But
      we don't have to continue that unendingly. Knowing the path and the
      way to tread upon it. We have the opportunity to become free of all
      fetters. . . "

      ~ Ayya Khema, "(To Be Seen) Here and Now" section entitled "Supreme
      Efforts"

      This transcript can be found in its entirety at:

      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/modern/khema/herenow.html