Re: Link to Equanimity meditation

  • philofillet
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2003
      I came back to this wonderful meditation on the worldly concerns to
      get some guidance before heading back to work after my vacation.
      Whenever I go back to work after one of these vacations, which have
      come to be like retreats for me, I start off well focussed and
      gournded in my practice. THe first week or so, the first two weeks,
      are so blissful because I'm putting to use all the good energy I
      gained during the retreat. But then, inenevitably, I lose it and
      start slipping. That's natural, but in my case I slip too far.
      And I think the answer lies in equanimity/upekkha. I spend too much
      of my precious life trying to seek pleasant things and especially
      avoid unpleasant things. So when I'm tired at work I pound back
      coffee, when I'm tired going home on the train I have a beer first,
      when I'm tired at home I lie in front of the TV. When I'm bored at
      work, I join in badmouthing the students. When I'm at home I
      compuslively switch on the interent and look for some kind of
      stimulation. Always seeking stimulation, pleasure...instead
      of "steering the mind to something that gives lasting pleasure" as
      she puts it.
      Yes, upekkha will hold me on track this time around. I think a
      recent psat says something about upekkha ruling the other
      brahmaviharas. I'm not sure about that, but I always forget how
      important it is. I guess it's the mind's steering wheel, that keeps
      us in the middle way and prevents us from driving off the road into
      the ditch of the world concerns we get stuck in.
      One good sign is that I didn'T freak out like I would have in the
      past about the weather during my vacation. It rained constantly and
      was unbelievably cold for summer in Japan. And today, first day back,
      is the first sunny day in two weeks. No whiing about it. That's a
      good sign.
      Yours in metta,
      Philip
      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon <shar_63@h...>"