Compassion

    Message 1 of 134 , Aug 18, 2003
      "We all know from our own lives that if we have had a bad experience,
      it is much easier to empathize with another person who is undergoing
      something similar. That's why see people who have suffered from
      cancer or some other disease set up foundations to research cures for
      such illnesses or people whose child has been abducted establish
      organizations to help others whose children have been lost.

      "Therefore, if we are to develop compassion — the wish that others be
      free from suffering — we must first understand the depth and breadth
      of our own suffering."

      ~ Dr. Nick Ribush, "The Path with a Heart"

      http://lywa.rootr.com/about/articles/heart.shtml

      Message 134 of 134 , Jul 24, 2008
        "The Dalai Lama was once asked
        "who is your role model?"
        He replied immediately,
        "The Weeper. The Weeper is a man in Tibet who is so moved by even the
        smallest or slightest suffering, that he weeps whenever he sees
        suffering."
        <snip>
        Shedding tears of compassion is one of the dimensions of being human.
        Our feelings are not just about our "personal stuff".
        They're part of the gift of our emotional intelligence,
        part of the gift of our larger selves.
        This is not to say we should indulge or wallow in our pain for the
        world.
        Nor is it good to wallow in too many TV/media images of suffering.
        Stay fairly well-informed,
        but stay open to the immediacy of life around you,
        and allow compassion to arise from that."
        http://www.flinders.edu.au/oasis/religiousgroups/buddhist/docs/Bobbi's%202nd%20Talk.doc