Our intentions make the difference between suffering & not suffering (TB)

    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 2014
      "We do have the power to exert control over our intentions right now. And our intentions do shape our experience of the world around us, the world inside us, at least to some extent: enough to make the difference between suffering and not suffering."
      http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings/meditations6_v140119.pdf
      From: The Limits of Control by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

      For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Thanissaro Bhikkhu

      With metta / Antony.

    • t.sastri
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28, 2014
        I'm wondering ...
        Don't you think that ceasing of intentions is different than trying to control them?
        Isn't cessation of intentions better than all intentions, wholesome or unwholesome?
        Doesn't freedom from birth (jāti) excel all experiences of "the world around or inside us"?

        Tep

        Message 3 of 5 , May 29, 2014
          Hi Tep,

          I'm wondering if breath meditation counts as a bodily action, as breathing and speech affect each other?

          Thanks / Antony.

          To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com

          From: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 05:02:19 -0700

          From: The Limits of Control by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

          Message 4 of 5 , May 29, 2014

            Hi Antony, -

            You wrote: "I'm wondering if breath meditation counts as a bodily action, as breathing and speech affect each other?"

            Breathing is a body action, of course.

            Breathing and speech are interdependent, of course.

            But, so what?  I do not get your point of argument.

            I think we have to pay attention to the fact that the language of the Buddha in the Suttas is not related to the English language and the way of life in the Western world.

            Tep

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2014
              Hi Tep,

              Sorry for the delay responding.

              The question about breathing and speech was an unrelated question and not intended to be a point of argument.

              Thanks for the reply.

              With metta / Antony.

              To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com