The Brahmaviharas in daily life

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2003
      "[We] can stop practicing solely in order to get somewhere, and
      instead practice with the idea that it might help all beings be
      happy. In fact, [we] can try to live [our] lives, all day, every
      day, with that aspiration in mindÂ…millions of others have had the
      aspiration that they may help all beings be free from suffering, and
      they've lived their lives in that mind always. They didn't wait for
      enlightenment. They jumped the gun, so to speak.

      "So whether we have a meditation practice or not, or are Buddhists or
      not, we can do that too. You and I can brush our teeth in the
      morning with the aspiration that it will somehow help all beings be
      free from suffering. We can stand in line at Starbucks with the
      aspiration that all beings be happy. We can talk to our friends and
      children and colleagues all with the aspiration that it might help,
      somehow, all beings be free from suffering. Even when we have a
      cold, or are sad, or frustrated, we could say, 'May I feel this way
      so no one else in the world ever has to. And on a beautiful day,
      when we're feeling particularly happy, we might remember, just for a
      moment, so say, 'May all beings feel this way too."

      ~ Excerpted from an editorial by Trish Deitch Rohrer, "A Place to
      Start"
      Shambhala Sun magazine, September, 2003 issue

      May this be of benefit