Einstein on Compassion

  • t.sastri
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2014
      "A human being is part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.The true value of a human being is determined by the measure and the sense in which they have obtained liberation from the self. "

      "We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if humanity is to survive. "
      [Albert Einstein - The Merging of Spirit and Science]
    • Colin Neal
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2014
        Dear Tep.....

        Thank you for this very helpful teaching. I need and value daily reminders about the importance of practicing daily compassion and concern for others....otherwise I get caught up in self-centered desires and fears...both of which I am coming to see the need for letting go of, as an essential step on the path to the end of suffering.

        Best wishes to all from this bundle of tendencies conventionally called "Colin"

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14, 2014
          I also love this quote.  Thank you!
        • t.sastri
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2014

            >Colin:  I am coming to see the need for letting go of, as an essential step on the path to the end of suffering.

            Tep: Congratulations!  That kind of seeing is not easy to come by at all.

            >Shar_63:  I also love this quote.  Thank you!

            Tep: You are very welcome, Sharon.
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 15, 2014
              “A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe", a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest — a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security.”
              ~ Letter of 1950 by Albert Einstein, as quoted in The New York Times (29 March 1972) and The New York Post (28 November 1972).

              However, The New Quotable Einstein by Alice Calaprice (Princeton University Press, 2005: ISBN 0691120749), p. 206, has a different and presumably more accurate version of this letter, which she dates to February 12, 1950 and describes as "a letter to a distraught father who had lost his young son and had asked Einstein for some comforting words":
                      “A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest — a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. The striving to free oneself from this delusion is the one issue of true religion. Not to nourish it but to try to overcome it is the way to reach the attainable measure of peace of mind.”
              http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/11/delusion.html
              http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

              With metta / Antony.
            • t.sastri
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 15, 2014
                One more thing about Einstein's wise thoughts:

                "The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms - this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness." Albert Einstein - The Merging of Spirit and Science)

                By the way, do you have any idea about  "what is impenetrable to us" that really exists?