Thich Nhat Hanh quote

  • Chanter Kyo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2003
      Thich Nhat Hanh quote

      Perhaps Buddhism is the only religion that speaks about its own
      teachings as a raft to cross the river and not as an absolute truth
      to be worshipped and safeguarded. This is the most drastic measure
      that Buddhism utilizes to deal with dogmatism and fanaticism, which
      are the causes of so much conflict and violence...According to
      Buddhism, knowledge itself can be an obstacle to true understanding,
      while views are a barrier to insight. Clinging to our views can cause
      us to lose the opportunity to come to a higher or more profound
      understanding of reality. Buddhism urges us to transcend our own
      knowledge in order to advance on the path to enlightenment. All views
      are considered to be "obstacles to knowledge."...According to
      Buddhist teaching, if we cannot continually expand the frontiers of
      our knowledge, we will be imprisoned by our own views and never able
      to attain the Way.

      Thich Nhat Hanh, Interbeing

      =====
      http://BuddhistInmates.net