The Power of Networks: You can never know who will help you....

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2014
      "Networking is about storytelling - understanding people well, knowing who's really good at what, remembering who needs what....

      "Networks are so powerful because individual people and events can't break them. They grow when you are asleep, exhausted, distracted. They are powerful precisely because they are beyond your control, the antithesis of central command. You can never know who will help you....

      "Software may be more systematic than you are - but it doesn't reflect the empathy which gives your network meaning. Networks are functional - phenomenally so - but when they become merely functional, they lose half their power. That power derives from values, from a sense of shared purpose and concern, and an investment of goodwill into the success of others that no code can fully replicate. At least, not in my lifetime."
      http://www.multihousingpro.com/print.php?AID=59 From: The Power of Networks: Why you need to make networking a key element in your career. by Margaret Heffernan
      Antony: I felt guilty today because I had an afternoon nap. Ironically the idea that there is continuity in the momentum of life will actually help me maneuver around the laziness in the future.

      With metta / Antony.
    • t.sastri
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2014
        Afternoon napping, or napping at anytime, if occurs once in a while is not bad: it indicates lacking of sleep.
        Sloth and torpor (thīna-middha) is bad.
        Tep
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2014
          I am a big fan of a short nap when appropriate.  :)  Sometimes it's just what the body needs, and you awaken with more energy.

          In a similar vein, both Sharon Salzberg and Geri Larkin have passed along stories of meditators who approached meditation and found the overwhelming need to sleep in the early stages, which is considered a sign that as a people we just don't get enough sleep and rest.

          Sending you metta-ful thoughts for good sleep and rest...and no guilt (which is just another form of aversion)!