General Brahmaviharas: Essence of Mind

  • philofillet
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2003
      Hello everyone.
      This quotation from Christmas Humphries' "The Buddhist Way of
      Action" has always been one of my favourites:

      "We cannot serve mankind, or even our neighbour, save by what we
      are, and it may be the surest way to help others is to develop one's
      own awareness of the Essence of MInd so that its light is visible to
      all."

      I think developing one's awareness of and clearing one's
      connection to this "essence of mind" is what practicing in the
      brahmaviharas is all about. Are metta, karuna, mudita and upekkha
      the essence of mind?

      Yours in metta,
      Philip
      p.s I printed out about 50 pages worth of quotations I'd collected
      from this group. What a wealth! Thanks again everyone, with special
      thanks for Sharon for keeping the ball rolling so steadily!