Our mind is very subtle & delicate when we first wake up (Ven Thubten Chodron)

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2014
      "In the morning, when we first wake up, before getting out of bed, before thinking about.... which obnoxious jerk we will see at the office, we can start the day by thinking, "Today as much as possible, I won't harm anybody. Today as much as possible I am going to try be of service and benefit to others. Today I want to do all actions so that all living beings can attain the long-term happiness of enlightenment."

      Setting a positive motivation the first thing in the morning is very beneficial. When we first wake up, our mind is very subtle and delicate. If we set a strong positive motivation at this time, there is a greater chance of it staying with us and influencing us throughout the day. After generating our positive motivation, we get out of bed, wash, maybe have a cup of tea, and then meditate or recite prayers. By starting the day in this way, we get in touch with ourselves and become our own friend by treasuring and re-enforcing our good qualities."

      http://www.thubtenchodron.org/DailyLifeDharma/practicing_buddhism_in_daily_life.html

      From: Practicing Buddhism in Daily Life by Venerable Thubten Chodron

      Antony: This will help me overcome my sleep addiction. I am not a robot that is malfunctioning if it wants to switch off again after breakfast. I can have compassion for my subtle and delicate mind and heart. I'm also sitting in the garden and reciting the introduction to the Ratana Sutta for mutual support with devas.

      With metta / Antony.

    • t.sastri
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2014
        How do you know whether the devas might be interested in a human?
      • yawares1
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2014
          Dear Tep

          According to Dhammapada/Jataka stories.....Devas/devis always help good people!!!
          And I remember the times we traveled and almost ran out of gas on the mountain and a remote place....but we were lucky we found a Japanese company with gas station....and the second time, we ran out of gas at a remote hotel near the gas station that already closed at night...so, we stayed at the hotel and got the gas in the morning. I told you that we were saved by the guardian angel....and you agreed with me!!

          Yawares
        • t.sastri
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2014

            It might also be explained as follows:

            -- a payback to our meritorious deed (like giving to needy people in the past)

            -- the man who gave us the gasoline was generous and his generosity had nothing to do with us.