Bhikkhu Samahita on Possible Translations of Karuna

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2014
      "Friends:

      Karuna is feeling the pain of other beings, either partially or completely;

      Possible translations:

      1: Pity not from above: "I am better", but as if in the other being's shoes...

      2: Compassion is OK, but that is difficult to reach up to for many beings...

      3: Fellow feeling, sympathy, empathy, understanding are all OK, but somewhat missing these essential points:
      A: It is an inability to see and accept other being's suffering and distress!
      B: It is a deep desire to make others feel free, glad, happy and peaceful!
      C: It is extended to and pervaded over many beings simultaneously...

      The proximate cause of Karuna = pity is noticing other being's helplessness.
      The immediate effect of Karuna = pity is evaporation of all evil cruelty!

      Pity (Karuna ) is one of the four divine and infinite dwellings (Brahmavihara)."

      Have a nice & noble day!

      Friendship is the Greatest!
      Bhikkhu Samahita _/\_ ]
      http://What-Buddha-Said.net
      For Free Distribution, with the kind permission of Bhikkhu Samahita

      With metta / Antony.
    • yawares1
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2014

        Dear Antony,

        I really like this post..please let me copy/post @JTN.

        Thanks,

        yawares

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2014
          Dear Yawares,

          Bhikkhu Samahita wrote to me saying that he gives his universal permission to post any of his writings for free distribution :)

          With metta / Antony.

          To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com