The Buddha on joy/equanimity

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2014
      "O let us live in joy,

      in love amongst those who hate."

      ~ The Dhammapada

      (I often think of these lines when I walk into a hostile environment of any kind...office politices... ;-)  )

      May this be of benefit.
    • t.sastri
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2014

        It seems love and hate feed into each other sometimes, and thus they are mutually dependent to a certain degree.

        When craving ceases, doesn't love also disappear, but metta and the other brahmavihāras become perfect?

        Tep

        ===

      • yawares1
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2014

          Dear Sharon and Tep,

          QUOTE: When craving ceases, doesn't love also disappear, but metta and the other brahmavihāras become perfect?

          ----------------

          Yawares's question: Why love disappears??  I think there is PURE LOVE with metta/karuna???

          yawares

        • t.sastri
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2014

            Yawares, all -

            What is the Pali word for "love"?

             [SN 22.84, Tissa Sutta:] As he was sitting there, the Blessed One said to him, "Is it true, Tissa, that you have told a large number of monks, 'Friends, it's as if my body is drugged. I've lost my bearings. Things aren't clear to me. My mind keeps being overwhelmed with sloth & torpor. I lead the holy life dissatisfied. I have uncertainty about the teachings'?"     "Yes, lord."

            "What do you think, Tissa: In one who is not without passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for form, does there arise sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair from change & alteration in his form?"

            "Yes, lord."   "Good, Tissa, good. That's how it is for one who is not without passion for form.

            "What do you think, Tissa: In one who is not without passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for feeling... perception... fabrications, ... consciousness, does there arise sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair from change & alteration in his feeling... perception... fabrications, ... consciousness?"

            The Pali for "love"  here is 'pema'. It is clearly different from metta and karuna.

            Tep

            ===