Re: Lovingkindness - Sharon Salzberg

  • philofillet
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2003
      Thanks for this, Antony, and the link, and taking the time to
      transcribe.
      I was happy to be reminded in the talk that when we do
      brahmaviharas meditation we're nurturing an innate capacity that we
      already have rather than trying to generate a connection to something
      that is outside us. It's so empowering. I also like the way she
      stresses having a lighthearted approach, and a spirit of adventure.
      It's fun!
      Yours in metta,
      Philip

      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Antony Woods"
      <antony272b@h...> wrote:
      > Sharon Salzberg once said:
      >
      > "It's so tricky - what does it mean? If it doesn't mean a sentiment
      > - I don't think it means an emotion - it doesn't mean a feeling
      > I think what it really means is a er.. a worldview or a vision of
      life,
      > that includes rather than excludes; that is open rather than closed;
      > that is connected rather than disconnected. That's really the nature
      > of lovingkindness - it's the way we see things."
      > "...realizing our joy our sorrow it's all connected - all of us.
      That our
      > lives are not lived so separate, so alone, so cut off - no matter
      > how we might feel - that's not the truth of things. That we do
      > live, we exist in a vast web of interconnectedness.
      >
      > So all of that is the practice of lovingkindness.
      >
      > It's not trying to make ourselves be something we're not and
      > it's not trying to disguise very difficult feelings, very
      > difficult situations and pretend that they're something else -
      > but it's opening our view of life so that we can look at ourselves,
      > look at others in that light of recognition - of connection and
      > truthfulness - the truth of how interconnected we all are.
      > Because of all that I think the practice can really be a lot of fun.
      > If we define lovingkindness as an emotion then we tend to bludgeon
      > ourselves for not feeling the right thing. But if we think of it
      > as a vision of life then we're just continually opening - and we
      > have problems we have difficulties we deal with them - it's all
      about
      > that kind of learning - learning the truth of things. So we can
      > really have an easeful heart right from the beginning in doing the
      > practice."
      > http://www.audiodharma.org

      > Hot chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to
      > http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?
      mode=click&clientID=174&referral=Hotmail_taglines_plain&URL=http://nin
      emsn.com.au/mobilemania/default.asp