Happiness from meeting our need to help others (Bodhipaksa)

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2013
      "Buddhist theory teaches, and practice demonstrates, that happiness comes from empathizing with others and from seeing their wellbeing and their suffering as being important as our own.

      It’s not that we set aside our own needs entirely and become martyrs in the popular sense of the word, but that we recognize that one of our needs is to help others meet their own needs. In meeting our need to help others meet their needs we find that we become happier: a layer of self-induced (and selfishness-induced) suffering starts to dissolve.

      Realizing this and working it out in our lives through the practice of kindness is a major part of Buddhist practice. In fact we could say, as the Dalai Lama implies, that developing a sense of connectedness with others and overcoming selfishness is the essence of the spiritual path."
      http://www.wildmind.org/metta
      From: Lovingkindness Meditation by Bodhipaksa

      With metta / Antony.
    • Colin Neal
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2013
        "...overcoming selfishness is the essence of the spiritual path."

        Wow....that is a beautiful teaching!

        With Metta.....Colin

        From: Lovingkindness Meditation by Bodhipaksa

        With metta / Antony.

      • anattaman
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2013

          Dear Colin,-

          But overcoming selfishness is not the only essence of the spiritual path.

          What else do you think, if you don't mind a question, is the other essences of the Dhamma?

          Warm regards,

          Tep

          ===

          From: Lovingkindness Meditation by Bodhipaksa

          With metta / Antony.

        • Colin Neal
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2013
            Dear Tep:

            Some of the most important essences of the Dhamma seem to be the letting go of craving, aversion and delusion.

            With Metta.....Colin

            From: Lovingkindness Meditation by Bodhipaksa

            With metta / Antony.

          • anattaman