Mental stress as passion, aversion & delusion

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 7, 2013
      I think that "stress" can often be a much more profound translation of dukkha than suffering. My difficult person is a nurse educator, and my teacher once said that nurses were "stressed out of their heads". But according to Buddhism, although physical stress is unavoidable, mental stress can be skillfully discovered to be unnecessary and is associated with the three unskillful roots of passion, aversion and delusion (usually mistranslated as greed, hatred and delusion).

      I want my difficult person to be free from mental stress so that she doesn't have any passion, aversion and delusion to take out on other people. And I want to be free from passion, aversion and delusion so that I don't suffer mental stress thinking about her.

      The three skillful roots are dispassion, goodwill and discernment. My difficult person has the seeds for these qualities and I can help her to water them by including her in my metta practice.

      This post is recorded in mp3 audio in our files section:
    • anattaman
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 7, 2013

        What is passion?  Most-often-seen meanings are ardent love, strong sexual desire; lust.

        What is greed? It is excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves.

        Greed(lobha) is always present as a latent tendency, whether there is passion or not.

        Passion originates from greed. Greed can cause aversion/anger/hatred(dosa) and delusion/ignorance(moha: a synonym of avijja) without a  passion. Also, dosa or moha can condition greed to arise without any passion.

        So I think greed is the better rendition of lobha than passion.

        Tep

        ===

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 2013

          “The sublime modes of conduct (brahmavihaara) such as loving-kindness, compassion, sympathetic joy, and equanimity (mettaa, karu.naa, muditaa, upekkhaa) are fully developed without any limitations. An arahant is such a perfect being that it is simply impossible for him to commit an immoral act. He is incapable of wilfully destroying the life of a living creature. It is impossible for him to stoop so low as to steal something, to indulge in sex, to utter a deliberate lie, or to enjoy accumulated goods as in the household life.[34]

          One may wonder why household life is an impossibility for an arahant. The reason may be that the household is recognized as a //fortress of greed// where we deposit all our belongings; it is, in other words, the external repository of our ego. An arahant, who has fully transcended the ego, is incapable of partaking of such an institution.”
          http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/desilva/wheel407.html
          Nibbana as Living Experience / The Buddha and The Arahant
          Two Studies from the Pali Canon by Lily de Silva
          For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Access to Insight and the Buddhist Publication Society http://www.bps.lk

          With metta / Antony.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 8, 2013

            Hi Antony, -

             Lily de Silva's conjecture: "One may wonder why household life is an impossibility for an arahant."  And her explanation is: "an arahant, who has fully transcended the ego, is incapable of partaking of such an institution".

            My view is that even before the final stage of arahantship, a noble disciple who has attained disenchantment (nibbida ~naana: knowledge that this very existence is disgusting) already finds household life so impure and disgusting that he/she wants to go away.

            Tep

            ===

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2013
              “In terms of your interactions with others, the Buddha says that true Dhamma teaches you to be modest, to shed your pride, to find seclusion as much as you can, and to be unburdensome. These principles are mutually reinforcing. If you learn to be modest, it helps with seclusion. In other words, you’re working on good qualities of the mind to cure yourself. You’re not trying to show off. You’re not trying to impress people. You’re practicing because the mind is like a sick person. It needs medicine to cure its illnesses of greed, aversion, and delusion. Practice is like going to the doctor and taking the medicine he prescribes. You’re not doing it to impress anybody. You go because you’ve got an illness and you need a cure.
              <...>
              Contentment fits in with being unburdensome and unentangled, because when you’re content, there’s less need to be a burden on other people — and less need to be involved with them as well. If you’re constantly wanting something, you’re going to be looking for someone to provide it. If you learn to be content with what you’ve got, it’s easier to stay in seclusion.”
              http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings/BeyondAllDirections_v130911.pdf
              From: An All-around Eye by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

              To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2013

                  Hi Tep,

                  I found this in the Urban Dictionary:

                  "Passion is when you put more energy into something than is required to do it. It is more than just enthusiasm or excitement, passion is ambition that is materialized into action to put as much heart, mind body and soul into something as is possible."

                  With metta / Antony.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 10, 2013

                    Dear Antony, -

                    There are several meanings of "passion" in the every-day usage that does not directly reflect 'lobha' as defined by the Buddha:

                    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/passion

                    Pas·sion  n.

                    1. A powerful emotion, such as love, joy, hatred, or anger.

                    2. a. Ardent love. b. Strong sexual desire; lust.  c. The object of such love or desire.

                    3. a. Boundless enthusiasm: His skills as a player don't quite match his passion for the game. b. The object of such enthusiasm: Soccer is her passion.

                    4. An abandoned display of emotion, especially of anger: He's been known to fly into a passion without warning.

                    5. Passion a. The sufferings of Jesus in the period following the Last Supper and including the Crucifixion, as related in the New Testament. b. A narrative, musical setting, or pictorial representation of Jesus's sufferings.

                    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/greed

                    greed [griːd]  n  1. excessive consumption of or desire for food; gluttony 2. excessive desire, as for wealth or power.  .. reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire for wealth (personified as one of the deadly sins)

                    So it is clear that greed is much better translation for lobha than passion.

                    Tep

                    ===

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 10, 2013

                      Hi Tep,

                      Thanissaro Bhikkhu elaborates on his translation of lobha as passion:

                      "Sensual passion" covers not only sexual desire, but also any hankering for the pleasures of the senses that disrupts the peace of the mind.
                      <...>
                      As the Buddha pointed out, sensual passion depends on aberrant perceptions: we project notions of constancy, ease, beauty, and self onto things that are actually inconstant, stressful, unattractive, and not-self. These misperceptions apply both to our passions and to their objects. We perceive the expression of our sensuality as something appealing, a deep expression of our self-identity offering lasting pleasure; we see the objects of our passion as enduring and alluring enough, as lying enough under our control, to provide us with a satisfaction that won't turn into its opposite. Actually, none of this is the case, and yet we blindly believe our projections because the power of our passionate attachments has us too intimidated to look them straight in the eye. Their special effects thus keep us dazzled and deceived. As long as we deal only in indulgence and repression, attachment can continue operating freely in the dark of the sub-conscious. But when we consciously resist it, it has to come to the surface, articulating its threats, demands, and rationalizations. So even though sensual pleasures aren't evil, we have to systematically forego them as a way of drawing the agendas of attachment out into the open. This is how skillful renunciation serves as a learning tool, unearthing latent agendas that both indulgence and repression tend to keep underground."

                      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/candy.html

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 12, 2013

                          "If there's greed for something, or passion for something, there's the fear that you're not going to get it, or the fear that once you have got it you're going to be deprived of it."
                          http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/meditations.html#fears

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 27, 2013

                            "With the gift of meditation, you protect other people from the effects of your greed, anger, and delusion. And you get protected as well."
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dana-giving/message/1
                            http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/meditations.html#generosity