Equanimity for Fortunate People (from Sept 2008)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2013
      Equanimity, reflecting that all beings are heirs of their karma, usually is taught for situations where the other person is suffering and we feel helpless so we should reflect that it isn't our fault that we can't help and we can redirect our energies elsewhere.

      What about situations where the other person is happy and performing meritorious deeds e.g. has private access to my favorite Dhamma teachers and has lots of Dhamma friends? I think that equanimity can help me not to feel worried when thoughts of jealousy, resentment or depression arise, that they might affect with suffering this fortunate person. I can reassure myself that I am not contagious. Ironically reassuring myself that I am not contagious helps mudita to arise. This person's happiness doesn't go up and down dependent on my moods. I can relax.

      With metta / Antony.

      This post is recorded in mp3 audio in our files section: