RE: Geri Larkin on on sympathetic joy

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2013

      "Buddha called [sympathetic joy] 'the mind deliverance of gladness.' What he meant was that the particular form of happiness has the ability to bring us a longer, more deeply abiding joy than we could ever believe possible. He was right, of course. We can each remember moments when we have been deeply moved by someone else's good fortune. They were accepted at the college they wanted so badly; she got the raise; he said yes to the offer of marriage. . .

      "Unfortunately, in the competitive society where we now reside, the odds of experiencing these types of consciousness on a steady basis is not great. . . Here is a secret to keep you motivated: We can't realize enlightenment alone. . .

      "Loving kindness, compassion, equanimity, and sympathetic joy help us to remember this truth. . . Buddha taught that this feeling of gladness is a powerful liberator. It frees us from our ego, our need to win, to take over a people, to disparage another race."

      ~ Geri Larkin, "Stumbling Toward Enlightenment", Celestial Arts, 1997.

      Thanks Sharon for posting this in January 2011.

      With metta / Antony.