Dangers of Moods (Thanissaro Bhikkhu)

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2013
      "But when you stop to think
      about the dangers of our moods –
      they can really induce us
      to do all kinds of unskillful things.

      If we get really depressed we get apathetic.
      Nothing seems to matter –
      you lose any sense of concern
      about the results of your actions.

      When you get really happy and manic you get complacent –
      and again you lose any concern
      for the results of your actions.

      So you end up doing and saying things
      that can cause harm very easily.
      And then you're stuck with the results."

      ~ Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    • Tep Sastri
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 7:02 PM
        Hi Antony, -

        According to the Buddha's first discourse given to the five bhikkhus, avoidance of greed & distress is the middle way leading to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding.
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn56/sn56.011.than.html

        Tep
        ===

        > "But when you stop to think
        > about the dangers of our moods –
        > they can really induce us
        > to do all kinds of unskillful things.
        >
        > If we get really depressed we get apathetic.
        > Nothing seems to matter –
        > you lose any sense of concern
        > about the results of your actions.
        >
        > When you get really happy and manic you get complacent –
        > and again you lose any concern
        > for the results of your actions.
        >
        > So you end up doing and saying things
        > that can cause harm very easily.
        > And then you're stuck with the results."
        >
        > ~ Thanissaro Bhikkhu

      • sharon werner
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2 5:08 AM
          Hmmm...methinks I've lived this particular area of unskillful action over and over again. ;o)

          --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Tep Sastri" <tepsastri@...> wrote:

          > Hi Antony, -
          >
          > According to the Buddha's first discourse given to the five bhikkhus, avoidance of greed & distress is the middle way leading to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding.
          > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn56/sn56.011.than.html
          >
          > Tep
          > ===
          > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "antony272b2" <antony272b@> wrote:
          > >
          > > "But when you stop to think
          > > about the dangers of our moods –
          > > they can really induce us
          > > to do all kinds of unskillful things.
          > >
          > > If we get really depressed we get apathetic.
          > > Nothing seems to matter –
          > > you lose any sense of concern
          > > about the results of your actions.
          > >
          > > When you get really happy and manic you get complacent –
          > > and again you lose any concern
          > > for the results of your actions.
          > >
          > > So you end up doing and saying things
          > > that can cause harm very easily.
          > > And then you're stuck with the results."
          > >
          > > ~ Thanissaro Bhikkhu

        • Tep Sastri
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2 11:30 AM
            Hi, all -

            Looking back over the years, I think when I was young equanimity (neutral, between greed and distress, like/dislike/love/hate) was mostly impossible. During the middle-age years, the moods spreaded evenly over love, neutral, and hate. Now that I am old, the distribution is somewhat like 10%-80%-10%.

            Tep
            ===