Ven. Ayya Khema - metta and equanimity/emotional independence

  • sharon werner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2013
      "Emotional independence requires having a loving heart. If we are
      looking for love, we are emotionally dependent and often discontent
      because we don't get what we want, or don't get enough of it. Even
      if we do get enough, we still cannot count on it to fill our needs.
      To look for love is totally unsatisfactory and unfulfilling
      endeavor. What does work, however, is loving others, which brings
      emotional independence and contentment. Loving others is possible
      whether the other person reciprocates or not. Love has nothing to do
      with the other, but is a quality of our own hearts.

      "Contentment is dependent upon creating a field of harmony within our
      hearts - a beautiful, open field, full of flowers, containing love,
      emotional independence, and self-acceptance. We do not seek love or
      approval but instead give them unstintingly. It's simple and it
      works. This constitutes a generous heart."

      ~ Ayya Khema, "Be an Island: The Buddhist Practice of Inner Peace"
      Wisdom Publications, 1999, chapter entitled "Harmonious Living"